Getting Housing Benefit when my partner (separated) lives in the house we own together — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting Housing Benefit when my partner (separated) lives in the house we own together

Options
davidlittlewood
davidlittlewood Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm a retired male of 68 years and unfortunately I'm separating from my wife.
We own the home we have shared but I  no longer live there.
I did manage to get myself a little flat and used some of my work place pension to make it a home.
I did pay my rent and council tax from my savings but soon found myself needing some help.
I made application for rent and council tax support but was told that I would not get any help because I have a house and told me to make my wife sell it and give me my share.
This is her home so how could I really do that.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @davidlittlewood - & welcome to the community. This is a difficult situation, & whilst you don't want to force your wife to sell your marital home, it will be considered to be an asset, from what you have said, that you both own.
    I was in a similar yet different situation.... I separated from my husband & left our marital home also buying my own property. We also had a rental property in our joint names, &, altho my husband kept all the income from this, in theory, as far as HMRC were concerned, I was advised by my accountant that I would be perceived by them to be getting half the profits. During this time period I couldn't get any additional help, as in theory I was a joint owner of both our marital home, which I no longer lived in, & this rental property from which I received no income after separating from my husband.
    You perhaps need to disentangle your finances; if you'd rather not, then you may not be entitled to the support you're hoping for.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I made application for rent and council tax support but was told that I would not get any help because I have a house and told me to make my wife sell it and give me my share.
    This is her home so how could I really do that.
    If you want to claim HB/CTR you have no choice - although once the house is sold you may not be eligible due to the capital you will then have.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Note that if you put the house on the market it can be disregarded as capital for six months while you are trying to sell.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.