Supposedly simple things you find difficult? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supposedly simple things you find difficult?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    Tying shoelaces, hence I wear shoes with straps, but they're hard to get for some reason... 
  • cat_hug
    cat_hug Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    Sketchers do a really comfortable slip on shoe.t
    Both my Dad and brother swear by them.
    They're a little pricey, but worth it for comfortable feet xx

• cat_hug
    Options
  • cat_hug
    Options
    @Tori_Scope Totally understand that. Answering calls or having to make one, fills me with dread. I literally have to psyche myself up to it.
    If my phone rings, it literally triggers my heart arrhythmia ?

@Susanfelix have you been tested for possible sleep disorders? Sleep Apnoea often goes undiagnosed, but presents with excessive daytime sleepiness.

Narcolepsy too, but even harder to diagnose.

Other possible causes could be anaemia (low iron) Thyroid problem (particularly underactive thyroid) Also endocrine disorders can too.

Even as a child, I struggled to keep awake in school. For years I'd get told off for not paying attention in class, or back then, it was a slap up the back of the head to wake you up.

I'd bunk off school and go sleep under the park bushes as I worried about getting in bother at school ( but got in worse bother when the truancy officer called me out!)

I was 29 before being diagnosed with a rare sleep disorder, after being misdiagnosed with all manner of things ranging from depression to epilepsy.

Sleep and wakefulness are so important to your health and safety and quality of life.

When you're constantly falling asleep, it's not only dangerous, but has a huge impact on every other aspect of your life.
  • hazmatrec
    hazmatrec Community member Posts: 4 Courageous
    Options
    66Mustang said:

Things I find hard that are not due to health issues...

- Blowing my nose. Honestly I can't do it. It just causes my ears to explode and makes a massive mess but doesn't seem to unblock my nose at all.
    I'm sure this is a skill that has now been lost to the winds of time...  You no longer see groups of old men creating an orchestral symphony of trumpeting sounds while blowing their noses!  

Incidentally, I can't do it either...just end up triggering a nose bleed in my case.  Also rather worryingly making my eyes water, I'm not sure quite how closely they're linked as the thought of snot coming out of my eyes wasn't a fun one.  :|
    they're good and linked, tho. I was given antibiotic drops for an eye infection and they drained down into the back of my throat. there are sinuses in between the eyes and behind your nose and other locations round there, they drain into the nose, and the nose connects nostrils down to lungs through the throat etc. pressure on the eyes, likely, I think, if nothing else? heck of a lot going on in a small space! 
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Options
    I have Progressive form of MS. Everything can be really difficult to me. One of my sympoms is fatigue so it can be difficult to drink or eat or take a shower or type or play video games everything really :) even just to speak can be really difficult
  • languagelover96
    languagelover96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
  • Bi33yLi88y
    Bi33yLi88y Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    @DaddyBear, opening jars, I find if I put on rubber gloves you have a better grip of bottle / jar and top, some times takes a bit of effort but I find that always works for me. I hope that helps? 
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Options
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Growing a dahlia without it being constantly nibbled by snails or slugs ? 
    really annoying, two years on the trot it’s been totally ravaged before it can grow a flower ...grrrr ?

what i need is a hedgehog ? or two ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Peter99
    Peter99 Community member Posts: 65 Connected
    Options
    Standing up from kneeling possible.
    I can't take the knee'
  • goods166
    goods166 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Tying knots (e.g. before taking the big bag out)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Opening a packet does my head in my fingers cant fo it 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Sigh. Eating enough.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    Unwrapping clingfilm neatly. I can never find the end of the sellotape.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,686 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reversing my car without hitting something :|
  • cat_hug
    Options
    @Waylay totally understand that. I forget to eat, or just sometimes cannot get out of house to buy food/get energy to get out of bed to eat food  
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @cat_hug Thank you. So many people just can't understand it. 
  • Susanfelix
    Susanfelix Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.