what help can i get moving further up the housing list for a bungalow? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what help can i get moving further up the housing list for a bungalow?

Options
suzieboozie
suzieboozie Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited November 2021 in Housing and independent living
hi, wondering if anyone can advice what i need to do to get further up on housing list for bungalow. ive sent in letters from my gp, sent in all copies fo my hospital appointments. im on 2 housing lists, im now having to use a wheelchair and im living in a caravan as its all on one level as i cant do stairs anymore. i have AS and severe arthritis in my hip and knee, i have fragile bones due to meds i have been on and have fractures a bone in my spine twice, im in the process of been retire from my job with tesco as i cannot walk now without the aid of my stick, ive had AS many years and its gradually got worse, which they said it would. im getting desperate now as come november i will have to leave the caravan as i dont have a council tax bill in my name as i origianlly lived with my neice and her husband. but due to me struggling to get up the stairs to bedroom and bathroom i now sleep on an inflatable bed int he dining room which isnt ideal. i also have C.O.P.D and asthma. (falling apart!) and its not doing my mental health any good worrying about i may not have a place to live come november. any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would refer yourself for a care needs assessment via gov website 

Ot will assess you and do a report on your housing needs this can then be sent to council and may get you higher up the banding 

Also if you have any notices of having to leave your caravan could help to show you are under threat 8f being homeless 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @suzieboozie

I'm sorry to hear about your situation at the minute, it sounds difficult. As mentioned above, it might be a good idea to refer yourself for a local authority needs assessment referral. Having some kind of care in place might help with boosting you up the ladder for housing. 

Are you receiving any support from your GP for your mental health? Are they aware of how things are making you feel?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • suzieboozie
    Options
    hi ross, 
    when you say 'needs assessment referral' is that the same as occupational health? as i have spoke with occ health and they have arranged for me to get a wheelchair, also when i do get a bungalow they will come and assess it to see what aids might help me.
    thank you for your reply
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suzieboozie

Thanks for your reply. I'm not 100 per cent certain of the ins and outs of a needs assessment, so I will provide this NHS resource that will be able to explain it much better than me :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    hi ross, 
    when you say 'needs assessment referral' is that the same as occupational health? as i have spoke with occ health and they have arranged for me to get a wheelchair, also when i do get a bungalow they will come and assess it to see what aids might help me.
    thank you for your reply
    Occupational health is a service an employer would use if there were issues with work. 

Do you mean an occupational therapist? They tend to work with the adult social care team and carry out assessments in the home. 
  • suzieboozie
    Options
    hi Mark, yes ive seen both when i think about it, i have an home visit soon off the occ therapist. its all new to me as ive always worked and now my comapny is retiring me on health grounds i feel as though im in a mine field regarding help, i do get PIP but ive been told to ring them again regarding help with mobility as the benefit i get is disability. i looked into what Ross suggested and i think thats the route i need to be taking next as it has to do with housing needs. thank you for your help.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suzieboozie :) I know it's been a little while now, but I was just wondering how you've been getting on. Did you manage to get a needs assessment from your local council? Did you get a visit from the occupational therapist in the end? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.