Disappointed with Welfare Rights — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disappointed with Welfare Rights

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 573 Pioneering
Had a call today from welfare rights, and what she said, to what I read on here are completely opposite. I’m going for MR, and she immediately told me that no one gets MR, so when it gets to tribunal (which is all done over the phone she said) then to give a call again.
I’ve read so many stories on here about people receiving at the MR stage, so was shocked with her response to it.
I was honestly hoping for some help with the MR, to give me a better chance. Oh well (moan over)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a complicated problem last year re:benefits and a private pension, eventually I turned to welfare rights for advice, as we were in lockdown they discussed it over the phone and I got the advice I was looking for. The person I dealt with knew what he was talking about, he did so in a polite and helpful manner and if i'm honest I would always recommend WR as opposed to CAB.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou Mike. I understand from what you’ve said, why it makes sense for them not to get involved at this stage.
    Hmmm, doing the MR (to me anyway) is much more difficult than writing on a forum haha, but I get what you’re saying.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Just to confirm for MR, do I need to put experiences of how far I can walk, what are consequences etc, or do I just simply need to state why I disagree with the decision?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Mike intimates, this is just asking the DWP to reconsider, & another decision maker will look at your whole award again; you don't need to say anything further, nor give extra evidence, but if you do explain further, there's no harm, & it 'may' help. It's just like a stage that has to be gone through before you can appeal, but no reason not to give it your best shot. :)
  • Leigh14
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    As Mike intimates, this is just asking the DWP to reconsider, & another decision maker will look at your whole award again; you don't need to say anything further, nor give extra evidence, but if you do explain further, there's no harm, & it 'may' help. It's just like a stage that has to be gone through before you can appeal, but no reason not to give it your best shot. :)
    Thankyou. I’ve begun writing it up in rough firstly, hoping to get it posted by Thursday.
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    Just to confirm for MR, do I need to put experiences of how far I can walk, what are consequences etc, or do I just simply need to state why I disagree with the decision?
    Hi Leigh,  I put a real live experience of walking.I said how far, I  can walk, how long it took ( timed myself). How it affected me, ie breathless. & How I would have to rest & for how long, before I could do it again. I was awarded 10 points for that. If you look back through my posts you,ll see what I said.I think details are best if you get the chance 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Hi @saversam, I had told the assessor my experience of walking, but was only given 4 points. I shall put it all in the MR report too. I didn’t get the assessor’s report, just the decision from DWP.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    saversam has reminded me of the concept of reliability, i.e. can you do an activity safely, to an appropriate standard, as often as it would be reasonable to expect you to need to do, & in a reasonable period of time (does it take you more than twice as long compared to someone without your disability?) Certainly no harm in mentioning this either, if these concepts were not mentioned in your initial PIP claim form.
  • saversam
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    Hi @saversam, I had told the assessor my experience of walking, but was only given 4 points. I shall put it all in the MR report too. I didn’t get the assessor’s report, just the decision from DWP.

Did you give a resent example?  Or just a rough idea?
  • Leigh14
    Options
    I gave a recent example of a hospital visit, as well as walking to corner shop, having to make several stops etc. 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thanks again Mike.
  • Harrington
    Harrington Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Leigh14 said:

@Leigh14 Write in detail how far you can walk and what happens such as how difficult it is or how much pain you experience and any consequences that can happen if you do not stop to rest during the walk as an example, I started my explanation like this  "I disagree with the decision because" then go onto explain in as much detail as possible, paint a picture of what its like being you and how it affects you on a daily basis don't leave any detail out.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    saversam said:
    Leigh14 said:
    Hi Leigh,  I put a real live experience of walking.I said how far, I  can walk, how long it took ( timed myself). How it affected me, ie breathless. & How I would have to rest & for how long, before I could do it again. I was awarded 10 points for that. If you look back through my posts you,ll see what I said.I think details are best if you get the chance 
    I’ve just looked at your live experience, and it isn’t that dissimilar to mine, which I was awarded 4 points. I guess it’s who you get for the assessment, I honestly don’t know anymore. I physically don’t feel as if I get air in my lungs. My condition isn’t going to get better and yet…..
    MR business is just another battle I guess.
  • saversam
    Options
    Hi Leigh,  yes that's why I thought it would be interesting for you to read it. What I put in my post was exactly what I told the assessor,  as well as needing my husband,s help. They put him down as an aid! But I have got medical evidence from the lung unit in Sheffield saying i,m on the WHO class iii, which I think really helped. Are you under a asthma nurse?
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Am under a asthma nurse yes, but haven’t seen her since before covid. I didn’t provide any medical evidence either. I’m not seeing anyone in the lung unit either, which obviously hasn’t helped my case. I also think I flunked with the PIP form, not giving precise details. I did however do some of it with assessor.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    From what I’ve read from yours and others posts, I absolutely know I didn’t complete my PIP form correctly at all, but I’ve corrected that in the MR, so hopefully they will definitely reconsider. I have followed all advice, guidance etc from you and others posting on similar issues.
    I have a few more things to do with regard to the MR, then once sent, I shall forget all about it, until I hear from them again.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.