Mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration

Options
Sarahjane1010
Sarahjane1010 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there everyone im. New to this just wanted some advice my partner applied for pip in January 2021 he was declined straight away eveen though he has issues with mental health depression panic attacks anxiety and tourettes his assessment was a joke to the point where they said there was nothing wrong with him and even wrote in his assessment because he previously owned a motorbike he had no problems with anxiety absolute disgrace i challenged this for him with a mandatory reconsideration and sent a 40 page medical record along with physiatric and mental health assessments and even his mental health team wrote a letter to pip as well about how he was treated during that assessment over the phone he has now been awarded pip they said he has standard mobility now but have said they cant say whether he has daily living because there Systems havee apparently not updated... How long will it take for him to finally start receiving payments and his baackdated payment also with a person with mental health shouldn't they bee getting the standard daiily living not mobility sorry if ive droned on we. Have never had to claim these benefits before. Thank you 

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    Mobility is also about being able to face going out on journeys etc planning them etc I believe? Not just if you can physically handle the walking so that may be why he's been awarded mobility? :smile: and I don't know about the time it takes to issue payment I have seen a few times on here that people have received a payment in their banks before they had even got the decision letter? And then also seen others like yourselves having to wait a while so it's probably not possible to guess that? The only way u may be able to find out is speaking to pip on the phone? As they will probably know if it's been released yet? Or maybe if its due to be? :smile: 
  • Emilyb81
    Options
    Sorry should of said hi @Sarahjane1010 :smiley:
  • Emilyb81
    Options
    Also I have learned on this forum since I had my assessment that it's more about how the illnesses affect our ability to do certain things safely etc? Rather than what we have? So maybe they need to see more examples of how difficult certain tasks are for him care wise? I made the mistake of not doing enough of that at the assessment stage and I never received or filled in the how your disability affects you form? So I hadn't really been asked? So now I've done the mandatory reconsideration I made sure I put down in writing several examples of how I can't or struggle with the list of things they need to know about? There's a document on here somewhere that tells you exactly what they are looking at? Il try to find it and post the link unless someone else does it first :smile: ?
  • Sarahjane1010
    Options
    Hi there thankyou for replying my partner has just spoke to pip the said he scored 10 points on mobility so he only gets standard but for daily living he scored 7 thats why he never got it he was point away is it now worth going to a tribunal for the daily living surely with the issues he has he should of recieved daily living as well can you go to a tribunal for just daily living if he did that woud he loose his mobility side
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

If you go to tribunal they look at the whole award you can request just to look at daily living bit why would you do that when there 8s a chance tribunal may increase mobility award 

They don't usually take away what has been awarded and normally warn you beforehand not to continue with the tribunal if this is the case 

Payment and backpay shouldn't take too long now needs calculating and authorising 

Let us know how he gets on 
  • Emilyb81
    Options
    I wish I could find that link with the list of is it descriptors? So you can look through the daily living /care part and see where you think that extra points or points can be earned? Il keep searching because that was very helpful for me... 
  • Sarahjane1010
    Options
    Thank u so much eveeryone im going to contact citizens advice to help us with appeal see whhy he haasnt got daily living... Im just worried if we go to appeal they will take his mobility off. Him straight away 
  • Emilyb81
    Options
    If you have the decision letter it should tell you why he didn't get daily living? I mean it should break down what you were awarded points for and what you weren't? Have you had the letter yet or just been told decision over the phone? :smile:
  • Sarahjane1010
    Options
    Just the decision over the phone they said hee should receive the letter in aa few days... Citizens advice said they can help with the appeal and get it sent. To. Tribunal but they warned it can take ages and bee dragged out for a long time
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Contact welfare rights not cab 

Tribunal wait times are a lot less currently as they have been doing phone tribunals 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.