UC and a 'sick note'. Does a Dr's sick note have any power, status, or meaning? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and a 'sick note'. Does a Dr's sick note have any power, status, or meaning?

Options
wild_one
wild_one Community member Posts: 95 Connected
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone, I've not posted for a while and I hope you are all keeping safe.

My issue is for my daughter who is currently claiming UC while jobseeking. In the last few weeks she has fallen ill and been signed off for two months. This has practically been ignored by job centre who still continue to contact her even though she has updated her journal about her current convalescing period. Today in the post she has received a UC50 WCA form. In all honesty, by the time the form is completed and sent back, and the invevitable face to face assessment is booked her sick note will be spent? It all seems totally unnecessary? What if she was in hospital with two broken legs, would she still be expected to update her journal?

So my question, bearing in mind the above, is, is this because the sick note is two months and not for example just 5 days? Does a Dr's sick note have any power, status or meaning whatsoever?

Thanks

Comments

• steveo928
    steveo928 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @wild_one

From experiences and reading up online regarding WCA, I understand that on the 29th day of sickness the DWP will send the form out. Once completed and sent back they may request an assessment then they will decide on weather the individual is either
    • fit for work
    • has limited capability for work – this means the claimant will not have to look for work, but will need to take steps to prepare for work
    • has limited capability for work and work-related activity – this means the claimant will not be asked to look for or prepare for work
    If the sicknote was for, say, 14 days then the above process wouldn't be followed. I suppose it's just a blanket process covering any illness that lasts, or is likely to last, over 29 days? 

Here is a link that may be helpful, i'm not sure, apologies if not.

Changes to limited capability for work payments in Universal Credit - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi as above the wca process is triggered by the length of the fit note though I do understand what you are saying that her condition 8s not long term 

I suggest putting a entry in her journal to explain or speak to her work coach 

You need to get the wca process suspended ignoring it could affect her uc

Let us know how you get on will be interesting for other members 
  • wild_one
    wild_one Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi as above the wca process is triggered by the length of the fit note though I do understand what you are saying that her condition 8s not long term 

I suggest putting a entry in her journal to explain or speak to her work coach 

You need to get the wca process suspended ignoring it could affect her uc

Let us know how you get on will be interesting for other members 
    I believe she’s uploaded the details of her certificate. Not sure how you would even approach suspending the WCA process?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Talk to dwp directly by calling them or as I said putting note in her journal make it a payment query then it should reach a case manager 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.