When will I start receiving Lcwra payment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When will I start receiving Lcwra payment?

Options
Stacy87
Stacy87 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited June 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out when I would start receiving LCWRA. I understand there is a 13 week wait. 

I went on sick leave from work on the 14th September 2020. Didn't realise I needed to give my sick note to UC until 4th December when I had a phone call with my work coach. They told be I may be eligible for LCWRA and sent me the UC50 form. They received my completed form on the 5th January 2021.
I had my telephone assessment on 5th June and the HC person said I was eligible for the highest rate and to expect notification within a week or two. I'm aware that she shouldn't have told me that. 

Sick notes were handed in to UC up until 10th March 2021 when I was put on furlough due to shielding. I didn't send in another sick note to UC until 1st May (when my furlough ended) which lasts until 30th June.
I was told that I don't need to tell UC if I'm on furlough which I now thinking was a mistake as there is now a break between my sick notes. 

Will I get it backdated to when I first applied in January? Or will it be 3 months from the 1st May when I restarted with sick notes?

TIA

Comments

• Simpsonfan881
    Simpsonfan881 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Stacy87

Ive noticed no one replied to your thread, so i thought I’d help with this. 

I am on. Universal credit myself, but I have also been a benefits advisor in past. So i know a lot about the welfare/benefits system.

If you had your assessment in June and get your decision in June, you usually have to wait 3 full months from that assessment, if it has taken longer than 3 months they usually backdate it, some people can have the amount added on immediately, but it depends on peoples individual circumstances. So in theory if your claim was accepted and you got LCWRA in June it would be either September or October when you have your LCWRA element added, but if they determine that your owed extra money they will backdate it. 

But because i have mentioned that everyone’s circumstances are different, maybe ask your UC case manager by popping a message on your Journal and make your you pick that your message is a payment query, as this will go straight to your case manager, and just ask her when are you likely to receive your first LCWRA, as they would be able to give you more accurate circumstantial information based on your circumstances 

Hope that helps, 

Simpsonfan881 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Sorry but I disagree with the advice above 

In normal circumstances the date you report your condition and provide continuous fit notes is when the claim starts 

You then have the 3 month waiting period before any entitlement to payment 

It is not 3 months after the assessment date

Hard to say in your case due to gaps in fit notes if they will back date to your first fit note 

Your award letter should state when entitlement is from then add on the 3 full assessment periods 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ..you usually have to wait 3 full months from that assessment, 
    The three month waiting period is the three full assessment periods following the date on which a claimant first notifies UC of their health condition supported by continuous Fit Notes. The date of assessment is not relevant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Stacy87 said:
    I was told that I don't need to tell UC if I'm on furlough which I now thinking was a mistake as there is now a break between my sick notes. 
    The advice was correct. You didn’t need to tell them you were on furlough but unfortunately you did need to keep them informed that you still had a health condition limiting your ability to work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lewjj881
    lewjj881 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
  • Simpsonfan881
    Simpsonfan881 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Ok, I thought different. I did my best to help the person, and quite frankly both of you have come across abrupt and rude. You could have worded your replies a bit more politely. I won't bother next time. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Simpsonfan881

Thank you for offering your advice on this discussion and on others too, I really apppreciate you getting involved. I can understand why you might be upset by other members correcting you and the way in which that is done sometimes, but I'm sure that nobody has intended to offend or come across as rude. 

Words read through an online forum such as this one can occasionally come across in a different way to how they are intended, which is why we always encourage everybody to take care with how they phrase their replies.

I'd encourage you to keep offering your insight where you feel it's appropriate, but of course I would understand if you didn't feel up to it anymore.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Simpsonfan881

No offence intended all I said was I disagreed with your advice 

It is important members are given correct information and when you present yourself as a previous benefit advisor members will obviously get the impression you are being factual 

Everyone's opinion counts its just concerning when the original poster may get wrong info

Calcotti is a very knowledgeable benefits advisor and knows his stuff 

I apologise if I came across rude certainly not my intention 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.