How do people manage — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do people manage

Options
littleacorn
littleacorn Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
As a power wheelchair user how do people manage to do all their daily chores around the house. Cleaning floor, benches, cupboard, changing bed, washing etc. My house is so dirty and is driving me mad infact depressed. I cant aford to pay someone to do it out of my benefit.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I can manage lots of things myself but must admit I have my son to help 

My tips are have no clutter   tidy away ad you go   use bed spread rather than quilt 

Have you had a care needs assessment you may find you would qualify for some care 

Refer yourself via gov website 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @littleacorn

Sorry to read you're struggling with this, do you have support from any friends or family members with those tasks? As suggested by Jane, you might want to refer yourself for a needs assessment through your local authority, to see if any care can be put in place for you. 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • littleacorn
    Options
    I know about needs assesments but will they take my PIP money into consideration as Im on higher rate for both and therefor expect me to pay someone out of this?
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @littleacorn

PIP is a none means test benefit and will not be counted. So please seek an assessment, please note your LA has a statutory duty to undertake this.

Keep us informed.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    atlas47 said:
    Hi @littleacorn

PIP is a none means test benefit and will not be counted. So please seek an assessment, please note your LA has a statutory duty to undertake this.

Keep us informed.

When I was put on PIP from DLA, my PIP care component was included in the means test...even though I have no savings and I have to pay £40 a week towards my care.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @littlecorn

Just to qualify further.

PIP is not means tested and cannot be taken off you for care costs.

What the LA can do is undertake a financial assessment, but prior to this assessment, they have to conduct  a Disability Related Expenditure assessment.

That enables you to detail the extra costs your disability, other than those of an able bodied person.

An example would be your powered wheel chair, the cost of purchase/lease, electricity, repairs and insurance, I would think that would be £40/45 per week.

You then go through all other expenditures, as a result of your disabilities and as a result the LA, cannot deduct your PIP care component.

@pollyanna1052
    Did your LA conduct a DRE, before they charged you the £40 per week?

Hope this helps.
  • littleacorn
    Options
    Are there any guidelines tips etc of how to complete/include in a disability related expenditure assessment. I assume this is conducted by social care but what should I include when talking to them. I know power chair related expenses is mentioned @pollyanna1052 above but what else?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is lots of info on the Internet regarding this If you do a Google search 

Better than explaining on here 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Nashville
    Nashville Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    I have just hired a power chair for my friend.  It is £80 weekly.  I completed a form declaring all the activities my friend was unable to do for himself.  Thinking of a typical day it was quite a long list.  Perhaps it is worth making notes for a week and assessing each of your activities as easy, some help needed, impossible for me - need to sub contract.  Hoovering and cleaning the floor would go on the sub contract list but switching tv on on the easy list etc.

just a thought.

nashville
  • littleacorn
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. Alot of research and planning is on the cards for me in the next few days before I contact social care for a needs assessment.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.