ESA stopped due to me being on 'holiday'. Been told to call for compliance, but can't get through — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped due to me being on 'holiday'. Been told to call for compliance, but can't get through

Options
sanam
sanam Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, I went abroad december for a family death initially for only 14 days. I get esa. Unfortunately I caught covid here and was extremely unwell and hospitalized. My family tried calling esa to inform them but every time they called the line would get cut off automatically! I was very ill and now suffering from long covid and heart palpitations with brain fog. And now the country I am in is on red list and my flight has been canceled numerous times. My sister opens my letters in the UK and told me esa has been stopped because i have been on “holiday” since december. I called esa and couldn’t get through, the line kept getting cuttoff. I then kept trying for the next 6 hours and finally someone answered. They said i have to call someone from the compliance team. They gave me a number. I called that number for 3 weeks everyday but there was no answer. Then i called esa again after trying for 7 hours! They gave me another number to call for compiance. I called and the lady said person is not availble and i can give my email address and he will be in touch.

I am absolutely having a mental break down. I am so unwell with all this... and being stuck in another country I have had numerous panick attacks becuase i couldn’t get through to esa or the complaince person. I am so worried, its not my fault that esa would never pick there phone! I am physically and mentally exhausted from covid and now this. I am so scared ???? please any words of advice?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @sanam and welcome to scope, hope you are getting better?
    You are allowed to go abroad for 28 days, or for 26 weeks if you are travelling to get medical treatment, how that applies if you become ill whilst there I'm sorry I haven't a clue, check back later as someone might know and be able to advise.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sanam
    Options
    @woodbine thank you! I hope someone has an idea?
  • JustJulie
    JustJulie Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Can I suggest that you get medical proof of illness from the country you are in and request that your UK GP is sent a copy. then ask your GP to write a letter stating the facts as to what's happened.  If you then contact compliance (the only way I find to get through is be the first caller 9am UK time) and explain you have all the evidence and can you mail to them or send to your Sister to forward.   If you cannot call first thing, then I advise don't bother, wait until you can.  Thereafter you can then go through a complaints procedure but I am guessing when they know what has happened they will be pragmatic and allow you further time etc.  Hope you are now on the mend and get sorted 

Julie 
  • sanam
    Options
    @JustJulie thank you for the advice yes i have evidence of all my hospital stays and thanks will definitely try in the morning 9am. Thanks once again
  • JustJulie
    JustJulie Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    No problems let us know how you get on.  If you have medical proof then they will ask to see that and want an appointment to talk with you, but I think that is usually 4-6 weeks after receiving information, and as far as I know they will phone you on whatever number you request.  If you are still abroad then they will have to call you there.  Good luck 
  • sanam
    Options
    @JustJulie thank you! I’m suffering from long covid too, Having weird panic attacks and heart palpitations. I don’t even care if they don’t reinstate the money because this has stressed me out so much. I’m just scared of being investigated for fraud, i've never been in such a problem before and always go by the book. Just want my name to be cleared?Thanks for hearing me out x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you receiving any support for your mental health, or your long COVID symptoms @sanam? I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there,

I also got stuck in a foreign country after going there due to a death in the family. I managed to contact ESA before the 28 days had passed, and didn't lose it. I did lose PIP, HB and CTR. The ESA person I talked to said they didn't require proof. She said they were making allowances due to the pandemic. Dunno if that helps at all...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.