New condition - what do I do ? ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New condition - what do I do ? ADHD

butterflycake
butterflycake Community member Posts: 17 Listener
Hi,

I’m on standard for living and non for mobility. I should have mobility one as I have non tuberculosis mycobacterium in my leg. This caused surgery on my leg and it affects my walking ( 80% of the time ) But I didn’t contest it as I found it stressful. And I was so sick with my antibiotics I couldn’t deal with it.   I also have asthma and IBS. I was told I had depression and anxiety but after new testing I’ve been told no it’s ADHD ( pysc assemsment )

Do I need to call dwp? I’m scared . I’m afraid they won’t believe me, cancel my award . I have nothing to hide I just hate questions . I’m unsure what to do as my mental health affects me a lot and I didn’t think mental health was a disability with dwp ( I know I’m just anxious about it ) . My everyday life is affected . I have panic attacks especially if I see any type of blood or beeps that sound like hospital machines ( months in isolation in hospital has done that ) 

My award was due to be reviewed last year but covid stopped it . And I’m unsure when it will be reviewed ?

many thanks for any replies

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    You do not need to contact DWP just because you have a new diagnosis. PIP is based on how your health conditions affect you - not on the diagnosis.

If your difficulties have changed such that you think you would now qualify for a different award you can inform them and will be reassessed. Before doing this you need to be sure that you fully understand the PIP descriptors and how it is scored.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

You may want to seek advice https://advicelocal.uk

You say a review was due last year. Did you get a letter advising you your existing award had been extended?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

If you think your condition has got worse and you would get a higher award then you can report a change in circumstances 

This will start a new process eg forms an assessment and a new decision which will then take over your current award 

As your current award may be reviewed at anytime it may just be worth waiting for your review 

You should get some expert advice b4 considering reporting a change and cintact welfare rights for this 
  • butterflycake
    calcotti said:
    You do not need to contact DWP just because you have a new diagnosis. PIP is based on how your health conditions affect you - not on the diagnosis.

If your difficulties have changed such that you think you would now qualify for a different award you can inform them and will be reassessed. Before doing this you need to be sure that you fully understand the PIP descriptors and how it is scored.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

You may want to seek advice https://advicelocal.uk

You say a review was due last year. Did you get a letter advising you your existing award had been extended?
    Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I did get a letter saying it was extended due to covid ?  but I can’t remember how much . It was amongst the first lockdown.  I have had a letter since saying that it’s gone up by £1 I believe that is all.    I have can’t remember the exact date when it’s to be reviewed.
  • butterflycake
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

If you think your condition has got worse and you would get a higher award then you can report a change in circumstances 

This will start a new process eg forms an assessment and a new decision which will then take over your current award 

As your current award may be reviewed at anytime it may just be worth waiting for your review 

You should get some expert advice b4 considering reporting a change and cintact welfare rights for this 
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.☺️   It has  but I am worried of rocking the boat . And I think you’re right. I’m also just concerned with getting in trouble if I am on new meds etc . 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need to report new meds or new diagnosis 

You only need to report if your functionality to complete the descriptors has changed 

And again only worth reporting if you think youbwouod score more points to get a higher award 
  • calcotti
    butterflycake said:  I’m also just concerned with getting in trouble if I am on new meds etc . 
    You do not need to report a change in meds - indeed if everybody did that the system would be even less able to cope than it it is.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • butterflycake
    Thank you. I found out pip expires in june 2022. when will they contact me ?
  • calcotti
    Thank you. I found out pip expires in june 2022. when will they contact me ?
    Can be at any time before then but if you have not heard by February 2022 I would contact them to give time for a renewal to be processed.
  • butterflycake
    Thank you ☺️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.