Meaning of life - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meaning of life

Options
2»

Comments

• Daniel_2021
    Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Hi,
    Great question!
    I don't think our lives have a meaning as this would mean they are predetermined by someone/something else. I do however think we have the ability to give our life a set of values and aspirations to live by i.e to find love, treat people with respect, be the best person you can.
    The reason I don't think it has a meaning is simply because some people have a tough life, how and why would that have been predetermined.
    If I look at my life at the moment it is nothing short of ****; it's full of pain, no independence, a cycle of appointments with little traction and deminishing mental health. I therefore find my life to currently have no meaning or value.
    Sorry my message has taken a slightly downbeat note it's just how I feel. I do love philosophical questions as it's great to see how people can judge a set of circumstances in different ways or where they are in their life their values may change.
    Thanks,
    Daniel 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,113 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well, by accident I was trying to delete my draft posts, so this ending up being discussed further, & thank you Daniel for your input. My draft post was full of Carl Jung, & probably not relevant!
    I can agree with you in part; whilst you may feel your life has no meaning, what you're going through may impact another's life, & perhaps you'll never know, but perhaps it will nonetheless help another.
    I therefore disagree somewhat; what you learn, what you go through, & sharing this may help others. Isn't that worthwhile? Your life & experiences may therefore matter a lot, so in this way at least can have a meaning, don't you think?
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    @chiarieds Hi, the ripple or butterfly affect, I can agree with that. You never know the power of your actions which is why most would say to be treated with respect etc. Just that smile to someone who could be on the edge or a brief "hello" to someone lonely may not even register to the person saying it but to the person receiving it it could mean the world that day.
    That's why I enjoy questions like this, it gives you that opportunity to take a step back and scrutinies things properly. My life is so so difficult at the moment, after spending all day in hospital yesterday I could only think of a swear word to describe it, however, over time, it may become easier and change me and my values going back to your point.
    Thanks,
    Daniel 
  • Daniel_2021
    Options
    I've not read the but i've watched a Life of Brian and apparently we're all individual.....yes, we're all individual...i'm not.

If you've not seen the film the above won't make any sense.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We seem to give life a meaning ourselves. That meaning could be to attain some long term goal or it might be to see life as a journey, a learning process given to us by God, or even the Gods. Each one of us learns to scramble our way through life in our own unique ways guided by illusory lights along the path. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As somebody who watches Ted lasso, I'm obliged to say football is life
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    I am inclined to agree with @Ross_Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.