Considering Not Paying TV LICENCE — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Considering Not Paying TV LICENCE

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering

For a few months now I have been watching on YouTube ChilliJonCarne who have stopped paying their annual TV licence.
And there are legal ways around watching TV programmes. One of these ways are again youtube.

I haven't got a computer, just my trusted mobile phone to watch all4 programmes etc.

This is my main concern.
I have a TV in my living room that is broke.
I haven't used this for years... don't ask why I haven't disposed of it.
Also the TV in my bedroom is coming to the end of its life.
Now I live in a bungalow. Full access can be gained into the backgarden.
If, and I emphasise if, someone came from TV Licencing poked around the backgarden looked through the window they would see this TV. I have to add i will have disconnected the aerial.

Could TV licensing get funny with me?

Or better still has anyone reading this stopped paying the TVLicence Tax?

Thank you

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldngrumpy -  I hope the following link will answer your query: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ99

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If I were you I would chuck the TV out and have the aerial removed.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Whatever you watch on computers mobile phones can still be detected through the Internet none of my TV goes through an aerial it goes through the Internet  and I got caught not paying a TV licence  if you don't watch anything on any of the BBC channels you don't have to have a TV that includes BBC I player  but you have to have had a BBC blocker so you can't receive BBC  thats what I had to do to not pay TV licence 
  • Philonline
    Philonline Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    I have three friends who have not paid for a TV licence for many years and they laugh at me for paying, the kicker is the term LIVE TV, if you watch recordings of programs you are exempt, you tube netflix all four 5OD UKTVPlay and the like is exempt but not iplayer as that is BBC and includes a watch live (the kicker) so if you do not watch iplayer or live BBC you do not need a TV licence, the TV antenna could be the property of your bungalow landlord so you do not need to remove it but remove the plug or patch cable from the antenna box in your bungalow, I do watch a lot on iplayer so I pay but am a firm believer that it is time to drop the tv licence and start advertising on BBC for revenue to replace it. If you have the internet there are some great little internet TV boxes that are licence free and get you lots of apps like youtube (netflex subscription required) and all the other freeview chanels and these are legal and plug into a simple cheap flat screen PC monitor, I use one myself made by NVidia top of the range HD which even has online games included but thats just me. None of my 3 friends have been persoanlly approached but had to fill in a form explaining why no TV licence and what they watched and answered as above. Hope this helps.
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous

For a few months now I have been watching on YouTube ChilliJonCarne who have stopped paying their annual TV licence.
    And there are legal ways around watching TV programmes. One of these ways are again youtube.

I haven't got a computer, just my trusted mobile phone to watch all4 programmes etc.

This is my main concern.
    I have a TV in my living room that is broke.
    I haven't used this for years... don't ask why I haven't disposed of it.
    Also the TV in my bedroom is coming to the end of its life.
    Now I live in a bungalow. Full access can be gained into the backgarden.
    If, and I emphasise if, someone came from TV Licencing poked around the backgarden looked through the window they would see this TV. I have to add i will have disconnected the aerial.

Could TV licensing get funny with me?

Or better still has anyone reading this stopped paying the TVLicence Tax?

Thank you

I not payed tv license 
    I not payed TV licence for years, its a rip off IMO and like you said there are better things to pay for like YouTube, Netflix etc.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I do watch a lot on iplayer so I pay but am a firm believer that it is time to drop the tv licence and start advertising on BBC for revenue to replace it. 
    Totally agree with this.  They play ads between programmes anyway, so swapping those for commercials would be easy enough.  Add a bit of product placement and brand names into programmes and they should easily cover the costs.  

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • oldngrumpy
    Thanks. In October/November whenever it is I shall refuse to renew TV Licence. Save the monies for an extra special Christmas. Thanks again.
  • dave392
    dave392 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Rc license inspector can not enter your premises without your permission I have answered door to them denied watching any live tv as only watch Netflix and just send them away they say they will come back with a warrant and I just say go get one still not coming in but I live in Scotland 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I didnt pay my TV licence and I got fined a thousand pound two months ago 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited July 2021
    I didnt pay my TV licence and I got fined a thousand pound two months ago 
    You must of been watching live TV then? 

There’s a difference to not watching live TV and not needing a license to watching and needing one but not paying. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    If I  remember rightly (many moons ago) the rule was that if you owned a piece of equipment that was CAPABLE of receiving a television broadcast then you had to have a licence.  I don't know if things have changed now that there are so many channels but it was a simple rule that was easily understood.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• oldngrumpy
    I mentioned I think last week, I shall not be renewing the licence
  • RDani
    RDani Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I'm from TV Licensing and I am going to need to speak to a few people in this thread.

Joking  ;)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.