Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
REVEAL -CP - Screening Study for People with Cerebral Palsy Symptoms
WHEN YOUR CEREBRAL PALSY SYMPTOMS GO UNEXPLAINED, A RARE GENETIC DISORDER MAY BE THE CAUSE
For people diagnosed with cerebral palsy with no known cause or those with CP-like symptoms that look like cerebral palsy with no known reason, please consider this research study that may help identify if there is a rare underlying cause for your or your child’s disorder.
The REVEAL-CP study is hoping to understand how many people with symptoms that look like cerebral palsy, but with no known reason for these symptoms, may actually have Aromatic L-Amino Acid Decarboxylase deficiency (or AADC-d), a very rare genetic disorder that affects the brain, causes abnormal muscle tone and affects how a person develops. Many of the symptoms of AADC deficiency are similar to cerebral palsy symptoms. This is a screening research study- no medications or treatments are being offered. However, parents/patients may find out if AADC deficiency is the cause of their cerebral palsy symptoms. The study involves up to two blood tests.
Although there is currently no cure for AADC deficiency, early diagnosis can lead to better disease management. If you are interested in learning more about this screening study, please speak with your or your child’s physician or visit https://www.reveal-cp.co.uk/ for more information.
Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead
Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 13.2K Start here and say hello!
- 6.8K Coffee lounge
- 87 Games lounge
- 474 Cost of living
- 4.5K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 226 Community updates
- 9.5K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.6K Work and employment
- 797 Education
- 1.7K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 644 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 372 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 820 Transport and travel
- 31.5K Talk about money
- 4.5K Benefits and financial support
- 5.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 876 Chronic pain and pain management
- 178 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.3K Mental health and wellbeing
- 326 Sensory impairments
- 825 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions