Exercise Equipment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exercise Equipment

Options
HanzRolo
HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge
My chronic pain limits my walking and standing and I've noticed that I've gone up 2 sizes in trousers.  I don't have scales (I think I'd be very depressed if I saw how much I weigh now).  I've tried cutting back on food, but it's exercise I'm struggling with.

I've seen the mini exercise bikes that are just peddles.  Has anyone used them and if so, do you have a recommendation on a model to purchase so I can just sit and peddle while watching TV or the likes.  Or are there any other things you'd recommend?  It's chronic lower back pain and sciatica down both of my legs that is what's limiting me.

Thank you  :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hello @HanzRolo

Sorry you didn't receive a response here, how is everything going? 

I use an exercise bike which was easy to set up and is simple to use. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing your budget but I would advise maybe having a look at the Argos website. They often have plenty of reviews and quick delivery.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • HanzRolo
    Options
    Hi @Ross_Scope
    That's ok, it was just in case anyone else had experience with mini exercise bikes as I've seen a few on Argos already  :)
    I tried using a friend's exercise bike before my chronic pain set in.  Even with changing the settings for the seat, my knee kept locking.  I wasn't sure if the mini ones you can just put in front of your own chair while watching TV or in front of a proper chair would be better for the back support.
    I'm dyspraxic so I have had recommendations of swimming as it gentle or cycling, but I can't swim or cycle with my balance/coordination struggles.  I have a fear of walking by myself, so I'm trying to find things I can do in my house to try to build my leg muscles and try to lose some weight too.
    Thanks for the suggestions  :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    @HanzRolo

that sort of exercise bike does sound like it might be good for you, have you tried looking at clips of them on YouTube to get a greater idea of how they work and look in use?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • HanzRolo
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I haven't, but that's a good idea.  I know my gran had a set to try to keep herself fit when she was in her 90s, so I thought that if she could do it then I could too.  That was a while ago now though so I wasn't sure if there were any particular models people used that were better than others :) 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Regarding brands and models @HanzRolo, I'm not sure to be honest, I can't even remember the model of my exercise bike :D Do you have a local sports shop? They might be able to advise or perhaps even show you the sort of thing you're looking for.

• HanzRolo
    Options
    @Ross_Scope Thank you.  I think I'll have a look again at the ones on Argos and see if there are any videos of people using them.  I know my parents have a fancy one, but I definitely don't have their budget or the room in our flat to put one up  :D Maybe if I find a good one I'll put the recommendation in here for someone else to find later :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.