Where can we live? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where can we live?

richardcharles Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi, my wife and I have been renting a house privately for 10 years with no problems at all. Sadly, our landlord has recently passed away and the house has to be sold. I am 68 and my wife is 72 and disabled. The council will only offer us one bedroom accommodation. We have a weekend respite carer and we have a cat. I am a keen gardener, and this is the only thing that keeps me going at the moment. 
With our pensions and a token help from housing benefit we can afford to rent privately and have in fact just found the ideal house. The landlord was fine about our situation and everything was going ahead. We have just received a call from him to say that he has been told he would have to pay for any alterations or adaptations we ask for, if my wife needs it, so he won't rent to us. 
If this is correct then how will any disabled person ever rent a home? 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    Sorry to hear about your housing situation 

    It depends what sort of adaptions are required 

    Maybe there are properties already suitable 

    You might get lucky and they find a buyer who will buy with you as sitting tenants have a word with the estate agency selling the property you are renting 
  • richardcharles
    richardcharles Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    We don't need any adaptions and wouldn't ask for them if we did. He won't rent to us just in case we do! As for our present house, if it was sold buy to let, it would be far too expensive for us now as our rent has been very reasonable as we have been improving the house and gardens over the years.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe refer yourselves for a care needs assessment on gov website 

    Ot will come and assess your housing needs and do report which will be sent to council and they may recommend an additional room is needed 

    The council will then change what you can apply for 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.