Buying home on benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Buying home on benefits

kidsareus Member Posts: 28 Listener
Can someone buy there council house if they are on benefits if someone has been a tenant for 30yrs 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,284 Disability Gamechanger
    Your problem will be getting a mortgage if you need one as lenders are unlikely to lend to someone who only has benefits as their income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    edited June 2021
    Hello @kidsareus

    Scope have more information on getting a mortgage when your income is benefit-based.  As @calcotti mentioned, affordability is crucial here and it's worth considering:
    The chances of getting a mortgage when your income consists solely of benefits are very low. The maximum loan to value available to people on benefits is usually 75% of the purchase price or value of the property.

    If you have a partner who is working or you are also working, lenders will consider your benefits as part of the household income. Lenders may consider Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Support Group awards of at least 3 years. This varies from lender to lender.
    Plus, are plans in place to finance the extra costs such as legal fees?

    If you visit the Scope link above, it includes links to where to obtain independent financial advice and I would definitely advise doing this as a first step towards looking at buying a home.

    Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our Housing and independent living category to make it easier for others to find.  Please ask away with any other questions and good luck :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • kidsareus
    kidsareus Member Posts: 28 Listener
    Thank you for your advice this really helps as it’s for my sister she gets ESA PIP SDP support group and high rate she has been a council tenant and would get the maximum discount with right to buy for being a tenant for so long I don’t have the answers for her so I really appreciate your feedback ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,715 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a question that pops up from time to time, and the answer i'm afraid is that getting a mortgage when on benefits isn't easy. I assume that as she has been a tenant for 30 years she is probably well into her 50's? an age when most people struggle to get a mortgage.
    Has she also considered that she will be liable for paying for repairs and the upkeep of the property if she owned it? and that whilst she probably gets help with her rent that won't be the same with a mortgage.
    Getting back to the mortgage issue, I can only suggest that she finds what is known as a "whole of market broker".
    Be extra nice to new members.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.