PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

LEAP reviews for PIP Mobility

ncorncor Member Posts: 13 Listener
edited July 7 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi,

Ive only just found out about these LEAP reviews for the ‘planning a journey’ mobility descriptor for PIP.

My first award for PIP was in October 2017 for 3 years, after transferring from DLA. I scored 4 points for moving around and 4 points for planning a journey, therefore qualifying for the standard rate of PIP mobility. This was awarded at tribunal in June 2018 but backdated to October 2017.

My current PIP claim, I scored 10 points for the ‘planning a journey’ mobility descriptor and 4 points for ‘moving around’, qualifying me for the enhanced rate of mobility.

Do you think I fit into the category for the LEAP review, if so, how do I go about finding out about this?

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,008 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I'm sorry I don't know anything about this but there have been several discussions about this the last few days if you look in recent discussions 

Something I do know is that if you are affected dwp will contact you they have lots of claimants to look through so obviously this will take time 
  • ncorncor Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Thank you for the information, might get welfare rights to help me to see if there’s anything they can do. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 25
    Hi @ncar - there's some info here, which as far as the 'planning a journey' descriptor goes is about claimants who suffered 'overwhelming psychological distress':  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016
    The DWP say that they will contact those in whom they feel an award should have been given, or if additional points might change their award from standard to enhanced, but only those.
    As Jane says, there are not only many claimants that may have been affected, but, due to Covid-19 many new claims for PIP, an increase in reviews too as well as so many claims for Universal Credit, so looking through these is taking even longer than anticipated.
    However, if you're not considered to have suffered 'overwhelming psychological distress' this may likely not affect you.
    edited June 26
    Okay maybe I will just have to wait for the letter then.

Previous award, my ‘planning a journey’ score was only 4 points which means having to be prompted to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress.  This was after transferring from DLA.

My current ‘planning a journey’ score is 10 points which means not being able to undertake any journey without it causing overwhelming psychological distress.

I would say I’d fit into the category for overwhelming psychological distress do you not think?

Do you think it would be good to get welfare rights involved?

Thanks.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    As overwhelming psychological distress was identified as an issue, then getting advice from Welfare Rights seems like an option. Your current award suggests the DWP did indeed take the change in case law into account.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,125 Pioneering
    edited June 27
    ncor said: My current ‘planning a journey’ score is 10 points which means not being able to undertake any journey without it causing overwhelming psychological distress.
    Given that you have been given points for descriptor 1(e) it doesn't appear likely there is anything to review - if this is correct. Psychological distress has been taken into account.

If descriptor 1(e) applies (Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress) then you cannot be eligible for descriptor 1(f) (Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Yes but as already said, my previous award was only standard mobility and current award is enhanced mobility.

Surely it needs to be reviewed to see that I should have been eligible for the 10 points in my previous award from 2017-2020? Therefore checking if I should have got enhanced mobility within that time frame as opposed to standard mobility.
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,125 Pioneering
    ncor said:
    Yes but as already said, my previous award was only standard mobility and current award is enhanced mobility.

Surely it needs to be reviewed to see that I should have been eligible for the 10 points in my previous award from 2017-2020? Therefore checking if I should have got enhanced mobility within that time frame as opposed to standard mobility.
    Understood. I didn't read your initial post as being a concern about the earlier award. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.