Loss of benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Loss of benefits

Paulandrew72 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I'm struggling to find the best answer, I took money from my personal injury trust and put some in my bank to do my back garden, now I've been told council wont pay my rent or council tax, I was seriously injured and lost my job, I'm petrified I'm going to lose everything, please can someone advise me 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,311 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    Di ýou claim any income tested benefits these could be affected if you have savings not sure your trust would be classed as savings I'm no expert with this 

    Other members will be able to advise 

    You could contact welfare rights who could help 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Evening, how much £ was involved?
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Paulandrew72
    Paulandrew72 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I've put 8,000 in my bank, 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,278 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    I've put 8,000 in my bank, 
    Did it take your total money in bank/savings over £16,000? If it did you lose entitlement to means tested benefits. If it was below £16,000 you remain eligible but there will be a deduction for money  over £6,000.

    For Council Tax Reduction the rules may be different because each local authority can vary the rules, some local authorities will not provide any support if savings are over £6,000. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.