Joint universal credit and both on lawcra — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Joint universal credit and both on lawcra

abismith04 Member Posts: 7 Listener
I’ve been awarded limited capability for work and work related activity. My partner has ptsd and is currently in the same process off trying to be awarded the title. We are looking to make a joint account but we are unsure of this title will stick for both of us or one of us could be pressured into work just because we’ve made a joint account. Can both people be awarded the title? I’m aware only one person can be awarded any extra funds and that’s no issue to me but I’d like to make sure if we do this that well Both still be safe and calm and that uc won’t take off one of our awards just because it would be a new claim. Any answers or anything would be great!


  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,518 Scope online community team
    Hello @abismith04

    How are you today? 

    If you are making a joint claim for UC and you both have LCW or LCWRA, your award will only include one element. If you both are entitled to LCWRA then I'm sure nobody will be forced into work and the rules will apply to you both, but you will just receive the one payment as part of your UC.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,398 Disability Gamechanger
    If your partner is found to have LCWRA then you will both be treated as such which means that neither of you will be expected to look for work or do work related activity but, as you say, you will only be paid one LCWRA element.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.