Hi, I'm Paddy370! Is there anything I can do about PIP claim delays? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Paddy370! Is there anything I can do about PIP claim delays?

Paddy370
Paddy370 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
1st time claim for pip. IAS has had my application for 19 weeks now. I have telephoned them and basically been dismissed out of hand. I was told that they would get to me when they get to me. So it seems that even if I get an assessment appointment in the next week or so I will still be waiting about another 3 months before DWP start any payments. That will be a total of 9 months from the initial registration of my claim. From all that I've read it seems that there is little I can do. Surely there is some sort of further action that I can take????? (Live in Torquay, South West).

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Unfortunately this is common currently 

Dwp are advising new claims are taking 10 to 11 months to complete 

The main delay being with appointments for assessments 

There is no further action you can take as there have never been any fixed timescales 
  • Paddy370
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Paddy370 - & welcome to the community. I think many of our members will be feeling the same as you.....unfortunately PIP claims are taking a long time due to the pandemic. No need for anyone to be rather rude & abrupt with you tho, so I'm sorry about that. Please kindly let us know how you get on, & hopefully your assessment won't be too long away. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Paddy370 and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sorry you were spoken to in a dismissive manner  :(  The PIP system is experiencing vastly increased demand at the moment, as you can see from our other posts in the PIP, DLA and AA category, so you aren't alone in this situation.  I realise this is of little consolation though and it's sadly a case of waiting to hear back I'm afraid.  

If you could keep us updated with any progress that would be appreciated, and also if you have any more questions along the way please don't hesitate to give us a shout.

As not to confuse, I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our PIP category to help others with the same question.  Fingers crossed for you.  Good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • dave392
    dave392 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    I notified pip change of circumstances in Oct and only had assessment on 15th June they seem to be completely back logged but unsurprisingly when  my phone assessment was almost 2 hours 
  • Paddy370
    Hi Dave, thank you. I have just had my PIP assessment. It was over the telephone. I wasn't given any notification i.e. text, letter etc. My assessment lasted 7 minutes!!! I have recorded it. Does anyone see this as a good thing or a bad thing?
  • Paddy370
    Thanks Mike, but surely, if unsuccessful, it shows that I have not been properly assessed?
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Hi,

Just to clarify recording doesn't help your case as you can't use it as evidence, and would be dismissed as you need permission off the assessor to record them and the call. The only thing you can do with recordings is use them for your own benefit and check where you could of gone into more detail or give better examples if you need to do a MR.

I also record all my calls so I can listen back to them, but I know I can't ever submit them as evidence as you need permission and constent from the person before the call begins.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Length of assessment doesn't mean much as you could of given enough examples in your "how your disability affects you" form and they have enough evidence. I have seen this happen a few times and could simply mean they are using more of a paper assessment and just clarifying bits with yourself.

Also once you have waited a week or recieved a text off them to say we have recieved all the information to make a claim, you can contact them and ask for a copy of your report. It gives you a good idea of the points you scored and what award your likely to get.

I hope its good news for you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.