Proof of Fibromyalgia/Osteoarthritis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Proof of Fibromyalgia/Osteoarthritis

Peterph
Peterph Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi all, my wife has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and will be applying for PIP shortly (been told you have to wait from 3 months from diagnosis) when applying how does she get proof of diagnosis, is it from her GP as they want £30 for a letter! 
Any other tips with applying would be welcome
TIA

Comments

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hiya ? pip isn't about diagnosis so you may not need it anyway? It's about wether she is able to do certain things reliably/safely? The descriptors? There is a document explaining what they are but I'm not able to post it unfortunately so hopefully someone else can?
    That helped me massively I genuinely had no idea about what they need to know until I read that document! Good luck with everything!
  • Emilyb81
    Lots of really knowledgeable people on this forum so you will get some good advice no doubt ?? wish I'd of found it before! Take care and stay safe guys!
  • Peterph
    Emilyb81 said:
    Hiya ? pip isn't about diagnosis so you may not need it anyway? It's about wether she is able to do certain things reliably/safely? The descriptors? There is a document explaining what they are but I'm not able to post it unfortunately so hopefully someone else can?
    That helped me massively I genuinely had no idea about what they need to know until I read that document! Good luck with everything!
    Thank you, because they say you cant apply for 3 months after you have been diagnosed  i thought she would need proof?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You don't have to wait 3 months from diagnosis you have to have had the condition for 3 months before you apply 

You don't need diagnosis letters as above it's about how the condition affects her against the descriptors 

Have a good look at them before applying 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Peterph said:
    Hi all, my wife has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and will be applying for PIP shortly (been told you have to wait from 3 months from diagnosis) ..
    PIP has nothing to do with diagnosis, it's about how you are affected. You need to have been experiencing difficulties for three months before you can be entitled to PIP. 

If she has been diagnosed with something by a consultant I would have expect her to have got a copy of a letter confirming the diagnosis.

She can ask her GP for her complete medical records and they have to provide. In my opinion that is over the top (and puts quite a lot of strain on GPS). She could however ask for her Summary Care Record. This is usually only a few pages but will show diagnosed conditions, medical and a summary of her medical history. 

Full description of the PIP points system and the reliability test are here
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Emilyb81
    Hope it's ok to post that it won't let me post the actual document for some reason... Sorry if not meant to post links ?
  • Peterph
    Is it better to ask for a paper application or to do it over the phone?
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    My boss gave me this advice when I was applying for promotion but I think that it applies here as well…

Spend time researching exactly what the criteria are and then explain how you meet them. Give a couple of examples for each and try to cover different aspects. Do not spend any time on waffle - make it easy for the assessor to find the information.

If you apply this to the first activity - Preparing Food.

This doesn’t include bending down to use an oven so don’t mention that.

Give a couple of examples of the difficulties you experience chopping/ slicing ingredients, opening packaging, checking when food is cooked etc.

If your grip is poor and you can’t use a peeler then it’s likely that you can’t chop ingredients for the same reason so don’t repeat yourself but concentrate on other aspects - e.g. if you lave the cooker on because of cognitive difficulties.

Personally I wouldn’t send loads of medical reports. In my own cases I’ve got dozen, most of which say nothing about how I carry out daily tasks and some that I can barely understand anyway. They’re written by doctors who want to make you better not help you claim PIP. If the assessor is wading through these he/she isn’t spending time reading the important stuff - which is the examples you give.

Keep it brief and to the point!

Good luck..

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Peterph said:
    Is it better to ask for a paper application or to do it over the phone?
    You start the claim with a phone call. Once you have got through you have to provide some extra information. You will then be sent the health form to complete and return.
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.