Do you think it is a good idea to record my PIP telephone assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think it is a good idea to record my PIP telephone assessment?

Options
Geraint1
Geraint1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning everyone.
Do you think it is a good idea, if I record my Pip telephone assessment  on my mobile phone ?
My last Pip, assessment, was a complete nightmare. I asked for a review, and it was reinstated.
But looking at the Pip assessment report, which I asked to be sent to me….I found a number of inaccuracies. 

Kind regards
g

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You can record it but it will only be for your own use and couldn't be used as evidence 

It can help you recall the assessment but I think you have to tell them you are recording it 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ Geraint1,  I have to agree with @janer1967, remember the PIP is a snapshot of your conditions and abilities to preform, manage cope doing the descriptors being evaluated by the HP at your assessment. The evidence you submitted and answers given allows the HP to make an informed decision about your abilities to preform the descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner for 50% of your daily life. So we all who are intending to claim PIP need to send true supporting evidence and medical reports to back up our abilities when applying for PIP.
  • Geraint1
    Geraint1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, they are most appreciated 
    ??
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience last time @Geraint1. I hope that your next PIP assessment goes well but, if you don't end up getting the award you think you're entitled to, it's more important to focus on why you're right rather than why they're wrong in the MR, if that makes sense? 

When is your assessment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    As you can see from the attached you are allowed to record your call here is the transcript of the file:-

Freedom Of Information Request 3032 Response 04.07.13.
    Recordings by claimants during DWP interviews, telephone calls, etc.

Claimants may seek to record a telephone conversation or an interview with DWP either openly or covertly using digital recording devices such as cameras, microphones, and mobile
    phones.

There are a number of reasons why the Department should stop this happening in open-plan public spaces. Jobcentre Plus has particular guidance on this here. A key concern is that if
    the claimant is visiting DWP premises such as a Jobcentre, and is using, or intends to use, their recording equipment, in an open plan area they could record other claimants’ personal
    information.

This is not acceptable. 
    If the claimant insists on recording their interview, a private interview room must be used. Where such a facility is not available on-site and no other solution is possible, arrangements to use an alternative Jobcentre Plus office will need to be considered.

Staff should also be aware that interviews can be recorded where it is a “reasonable adjustment” requirement under the Equality Act 2010. If necessary speak to your local Disability Equality Adviser who can facilitate this.

If a claimant indicates that they intend to make a recording of a conversation or interview and staff involved are uncomfortable about being recorded, the matter should be raised with local management. Another member of staff who is less concerned about being recorded can take the call or conduct the interview.
    This may take time and a future appointment may be necessary.

A claimant may resort to threatening to record, or actually
    record, telephone calls or interviews as a last resort if they are unhappy about the way they have been dealt with by DWP. It may be more appropriate to resolve the underlying service
    issue in which case they may not feel the need to record their dealings with DWP.

If you have any queries, please contact Information Management, Devolution and Governance.

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    You are allowed by law to record your interview in any setting it takes place:-

Freedom Of Information Request 3032 Response 04.07.13.
    Recordings by claimants during DWP interviews, telephone calls, etc.

Claimants may seek to record a telephone conversation or an interview with DWP either openly or covertly using digital recording devices such as cameras, microphones, and mobile
    phones.

There are a number of reasons why the Department should stop this happening in open-plan public spaces. Jobcentre Plus has particular guidance on this here. A key concern is that if
    the claimant is visiting DWP premises such as a Jobcentre, and is using, or intends to use, their recording equipment, in an open plan area they could record other claimants’ personal
    information.

This is not acceptable. 
    If the claimant insists on recording their interview, a private interview room must be used. Where such a facility is not available on-site and no other solution is possible, arrangements to use an alternative Jobcentre Plus office will need to be considered.

Staff should also be aware that interviews can be recorded where it is a “reasonable adjustment” requirement under the Equality Act 2010. If necessary speak to your local Disability Equality Adviser who can facilitate this.

If a claimant indicates that they intend to make a recording of a conversation or interview and staff involved are uncomfortable about being recorded, the matter should be raised with local management. Another member of staff who is less concerned about being recorded can take the call or conduct the interview.
    This may take time and a future appointment may be necessary.

A claimant may resort to threatening to record, or actually
    record, telephone calls or interviews as a last resort if they are unhappy about the way they have been dealt with by DWP. It may be more appropriate to resolve the underlying service
    issue in which case they may not feel the need to record their dealings with DWP.

If you have any queries, please contact Information Management, Devolution and Governance.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.