I've been awarded Limited capability of work. Can I still work 12 hours a week? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I've been awarded Limited capability of work. Can I still work 12 hours a week?

shortyt Member Posts: 19 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I have just been awarded limited capability of work I think at the higher rate as it says I do not need to look for work.
The thing is I work 12hrs per week due to my condition can I still work these 12 hrs and if so is there a limited to what I can earn a week or do I have to give up work in order to get the extra money ?
Also I read that if.you get limited capability of work you get a work allowance on universal credit can you explain a bit more of this to me as I really don't understand it at all.


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,428 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    First of all you need to have been awarded lcwra to get any additional payment and not lcw so you need to check this 

    Lcwra is limited capability for work and work related activity 

    You can work and get the extra payment 

    The amount of work allowance depends if you also get the housing element or child element 

    A work allowance is the amount you are allowed to earn before any deduction would be made to your uc 

    If you earn more than the work allowance they will deduct 63p for every pound you earn over the allowance 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.