I'm my Mum's appointee (as of today) and have a telephone assesmsent next week. Advice and tips? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm my Mum's appointee (as of today) and have a telephone assesmsent next week. Advice and tips?

CatsMeow
CatsMeow Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

There is absolutely way in hell she does not qualify for high care mobility and daily living - she has god knows how many conditions, and should have been on this a long time ago (but couldn't make the application because of the rut she's in for years. Genuinely spends 95% of time in bed and leaves the house once or twice a year for medical appointments.)

After her missing two phone appointments (that I didn't know about; assumed the application had been cancelled), I stepped in and I am now her appointee.

I know I'm probably fighting a losing battle, but does anyone have tips or advice? I'm aware of what PIP is about and how points are scored - but I'm really quite determined to try get her it without the appeal.

I'm talking more things I should say on the phone, have to hand, my tone to the assessor, questions I should ask to them, anything I need to know about them "catching me out"

Thank you! This is a ****** of a company!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Without knowing far more there is no way we can comment as to what award she may or may not get, and you may or may not have to go to appeal.
    However as for how to handle the assessment try and avoid answering yes or no to any questions and refer to the copy of the application (if you have one)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    CatsMeow said:..I know I'm probably fighting a losing battle, ..
    Why would you think that? You say you are aware of the points system. If you have explained her difficulties with examples of what happens if she attempts the activities you have done what is necessary to get the claim considered on its merit. In terms of tone with the assessor you need to make sure you answer the questions fully. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.