Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Apparently UC top-up £20 to be phased out

MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,220 Pioneering
edited July 9 in Universal Credit

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,043 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Mark 

Doesn't really give much detail how it will be phased out though 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,220 Pioneering
    I’d imagine it will be announced how it will work exactly closer to the time. 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,318 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats not good thats 80 pound a month less that will be horrible for a lot of familys they takeing that away yet everything else has gone up including rent 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,536 Disability Gamechanger
    How it’s going to work is that this is an idea floated to see reaction across the busts. May yet not happen. However, as detailed as it is at present the plan is a simple cessation from September onwards.
  • Luna51Luna51 Member Posts: 78 Courageous
    I heard on the radio it was going ahead and had been already agreed, but then again that's the media reporting so who knows? 
    Therese Coffrey apparently "Wants to get Britain back to work"
    Which is fine fine, if you're able to work! 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,132 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks Mark 

The process need not be complicated complicated. I would expect the government will simply confirm that the standard rate allowances will reduce by £86.67/month for all assessment periods starting after a particular date.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Marie12Marie12 Member Posts: 10 Connected
    calcotti said:
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks Mark 

The process need not be complicated complicated. I would expect the government will simply confirm that the standard rate allowances will reduce by £86.67/month for all assessment periods starting after a particular date.
    From what I can see the date of change is is 6 October 2021. So if your assessment period is 7th month - 6th next month then (7/9-6/10) which is paid about a week after will include the extra. If your assessment is a day later (8/9-7/10) you last higher payment will be the one in September (covering 8/8-7/9)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/313/pdfs/uksi_20210313_en.pdf
  • Marie12Marie12 Member Posts: 10 Connected
    ****i got the date wrong***
    Assessment periods that end on 5th October or before get the uplift - ending 6th October or later don’t 

Standard Allowance modification
    2.—(1) For any assessment period in relation to an award of universal credit, where that assessment period ends on or after 6th April 2021 and before 6th October 2021 regulation 36 (table showing amounts of elements) of the Universal Credit Regulations 2013(c), as amended by the current up-rating order, is to be read as if the amounts of the standard allowance were each increased by £86.67.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,393 Disability Gamechanger
    There is some serious opposition to this from within the Tory party six former DWP secretary's have written suggesting it would be wrong, and a number of the new intake who won seats across the "red wall" are far from happy, so if there is a smell of a commons vote expect the govt. to back down in some way.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    That opposition pre-emptied the announcement i.e. they heard them; ignored them and announced anyway. That particular element of “serious opposition” were dismissed without so much as a second thought. 
    Mike is the 20.00 a week going to stop ??
    Well an announcement has been made to that effect but this is the first time they’ve announced anything so far in advance in 16 months so it looks to me like they’re doing their usual stunt of floating an idea publicly to gauge the reaction.
    Thanks Mike so just have to see then 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,132 Pioneering
    Phased out is a misnomer in as much as it implies a gradual change. It is likely to be an abrupt step.
    Mike is the 20.00 a week going to stop ??
    That was always the stated intention when it was introduced.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bonnie1234Bonnie1234 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Well, lets hope Boris gets the sack and has to claim,  what fun that would be, it is  shocking, you cannot give people something they become to rely on and then take it away, this is cruel.

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,393 Disability Gamechanger
    Boris is far too rich to claim UC.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    He really isn't @woodbine. It's one of the reasons he initially had others fund the number 10 refurb. Financially he needs to leave number 10 and get a consultancy job in the private sector as by all accounts he's struggling with child support and a few other issues at present. 

Sign in or join us to comment.