I've been told I have to claim UC. I'm on ESA but moving to a different council. Is this correct? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been told I have to claim UC. I'm on ESA but moving to a different council. Is this correct?

laney1970
laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I've been told I have to claim UC I'm on ESA but moving to a different council dwp have told me I will get a extra 2 weeks money and also UC will ask them for my medical notes and what group I'm in so my money will all go over to UC is this correct
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    As described by you it is not correct. Moving to a different address, even in a different local authority, does not require you to end your ESA and switch to UC.

However I assume that what you have not told us is that as well as ESA you are claiming Housing Benefit. If you change local authority you cannot take your Housing Benefit with you. If you want help with rent you have to claim UC. The act of claiming UC ends your income based ESA. If any of your ESA is contribution based it will continue (but will reduce the amount of UC you receive).

it is correct that income based ESA will continue for two weeks after you claim UC. it is also correct that your ESA status will transfer across to UC.

If you do need help with rent then there is no need to apply for UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • laney1970
    laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
    Thankyou yes I missed the rent part  out that's why there saying I have to claim uc

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.