Assessment Call didn’t go well — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment Call didn’t go well

Options
charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning all, so I had my pip phone assessment this morning and i do t think it went well at all, the assessor was very short with me I was trying to explore thinkin to her and it was like she wasn’t interested in listening, I was trying to explain my bereavement of my baby in 2019 and my traumatic childhood events but she didn’t want to listen she kept going onto the next question. I feel it went awful and I’m not going to get an award. I’m so disheartened I’ve been so anxious for weeks about This call it lasted 40 minutes. Have anyone else had a call that didn’t seem to go well but actually got awarded. Thankyou x

Comments

• sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a short assessment this week. It wasnt a regular assessment like you had. It was part of a different pip review. But i am commenting because the lady i spoke to seemed very short with me and inpatient and i started getting angry and upset. 
    But at the end she said to me that she was sorry of i felt rushed or that i wasnt listened to. She said she was trying to keep to the points she needed to know and minimise any upset for me and she moved on when she got all the info she needed for a particular question. 
    Sometimes the assessors have their own agenda that isnt very clear. 
    I am glad she explained that to me as it helped me understand her brusque manner... and i was awarded what she phoned for. 
    Good luck. I hope you are feeling ok.  

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Don't be too concerned the assessors job is to assess your functionality not the reason behind it 

As mentioned above they try and limit your distress by not going into all your personal history 

The main focus is you derailing how you can or can't do the tasks 

They don't have the time to go into all the detail about your history 
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    sandyp196 said:

I am glad she explained that to me as it helped me understand her brusque manner... and i was awarded what she phoned for. 

The HCPs agenda is to assess. It's not an opportunity to tell your story; give your background; say what you want to say. It is an assessment. Them overseeing all the evidence so far and coming to their own conclusions independent of the one you think they ought to be coming to.  
    This is what i said i understood at the end of my assessent when the assessor explained why she kept cutting me off!
    I was passing along mt experience to the poster so it might provide a different perspective why assessors sometimes come across rude and impatient. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    Options
    sandyp196 said:
    I had a short assessment this week. It wasnt a regular assessment like you had. It was part of a different pip review. But i am commenting because the lady i spoke to seemed very short with me and inpatient and i started getting angry and upset. 
    But at the end she said to me that she was sorry of i felt rushed or that i wasnt listened to. She said she was trying to keep to the points she needed to know and minimise any upset for me and she moved on when she got all the info she needed for a particular question. 

I think they try and keep any emotion out of it. I know during my f2f assessment I became a bit tearful when I started to talk about certain issues and the assessor said 'it will get a lot worse than this!'. At the time I thought she was quite brutal but I can see why they are like this. I did feel it was rushed but after joining Scope I began to see the other side of things. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.