Bath Aid? Telephone Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bath Aid? Telephone Assessment

Options
charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
I had my telephone assessment this week and I’m a bit worried as the assessor asked me were I bought my shower seat from, as I’m unable to bath I have to sit in a seat and my daughter helps shower me. Anyway I told her it’s not bought it’s basically just a plastic seat I’ve took from the garden that I now use in the shower. It does me fine and works great. Do you think I’m not going to get any points now as it’s not a ‘proper’ shower seat. It’s still an Aid in my eyes, but obviously it’s not my decision x

Comments

• charlotte84
    charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I had my telephone assessment this week and I’m a bit worried as the assessor asked me were I bought my shower seat from, as I’m unable to bath I have to sit in a seat and my daughter helps shower me. Anyway I told her it’s not bought it’s basically just a plastic seat I’ve took from the garden that I now use in the shower. It does me fine and works great. Do you think I’m not going to get any points now as it’s not a ‘proper’ shower seat. It’s still an Aid in my eyes, but obviously it’s not my decision x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

It's hard to say how they deal with it 

They don't always class as aids unless provided through a ot assessment and a recommended product as anyone can just buy something but it doesn't mean they actually need it 

I'm only playing devil's advocate here 

Also for safety reasons I suggest you get a proper shower chair or if you like a bath a bath seat that lowers and rises you from the bath 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The issue isn't whether or not you have a seat/stool and if so what type. The issue is why you need to have one, what difficulties do you experience, what happens without something to sit on. if the difficulties you have that prevent you washing and bathing to the required standard can be managed by the provision of an aid then for PIP purposes you need an aid.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @charlotte84

Thanks for your post, how did your telephone assessment go on the whole? 

I wouldn't want to say what the assessor will have made of that, because I'm unsure. Hopefully though they will still recognise it as an aid that you need to use in order to have your shower.

After a week you can call to request a copy of the assessor's report, that will give you an indication of the points you may be awarded by the decision maker, along with any notes.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Options
    charlotte84 Hi I wouldnt worry about it that as long as you need help in the shower that shouldn't be a problem. I had my PIP review and i just gave them my evidence in a couple of weeks i got my award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.