Unable to find accessible housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to find accessible housing

Options
erin98
erin98 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, my name is Erin. I have mental health issues and mobility related disabilities. I currently live in a large apartment block without a lift, so there's lots of stairs to get into my home. The bath is also an oval shape, therefore my occupational therapist was unable to fit a bath lift or even just a shower board. They can't fit a stair lift because the stairs are communal. The parking is very far away and I often can't get to my car if I'm having a flare up and it's too far to walk. I can't use my wheelchair indoors and have to store it in my motability car. I can't even use a rollator indoors because the hallways are too narrow.
I've been on the council register for over a year in band 2. Even when a property comes up, I'm so far down the list that I'll never be successful. The accessible properties are like gold dust though and I doubt I'll even find one. I've been keeping an eye on private too but I can't really afford it. I've even had to go off sick from work with stress because this whole situation is causing a massive deterioration of my mental health. It's a vicious cycle because the stress and depression means I'm off sick, therefore earning less, which means I can't afford better housing, which is making my mental health worse. I don't know what to do. I've tried speaking with my social worker but she doesn't take the situation seriously and says I should just wait patiently for a house that doesn't even exist. Does anyone know what I could do? I feel lost.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I am sorry to hear about your housing problems 

We come across this issue a lot on here 

I had to wait over a year to find something suitable and that was with help from my housing officer 

I was about to become homeless with a child so gave me priority 

Unfortunately nobody seems to show any interest if you have a roof over your head 

Would you be entitled to any benefits to help with housing costs 

I don't know what you can do to find a place accessible housing is in very short supply 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.