anybody been successful at losing weight? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

anybody been successful at losing weight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm starting again today for the zillionth time. I've managed to get up to almost nineteen stone being housebound no exercise and giving up on dieting. I'm not doing low carb this time just three healthy meals a day. When I get my mobility car by Nov il start at gym and swimming but I can't walk. I've also asked doctor to refer me to tier three and weight loss surgery. I wish I felt more optimistic about another diet. I'm also using up the last of my saxenda weight loss injections which are ineffective for me but she to work for everyone else. I'm bipolar and aorry about getting Ill because I'm so fed up and isolated. Anyone relate
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope everything goes well with the new diet @Geegeenumber1, and fingers crossed the different approach works for you. It's normal to have your optimism dented a little bit if you've not had the success with it in the past that you wanted, but sometimes these things can take time and finding a working, stable routine can take a few attempts.

I remember you saying previously that you lived with a family member, but do you have any other friends or loved ones who you could perhaps spend some time with to help ease your isolation? Of course, the community is always here for you too.

If you do feel as though your well-being is becoming more and more impacted by what you're going through, and you have growing concerns that you may become ill, it might be worth speaking with your GP about those worries to see if they can advise / help.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    hi 

ive emailed the doctor this morning about referral for cbt/counselling for support with my weight loss efforts
    my only friends i speak to online only because i am housebound
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    Well after years of failed diets and going on and off the wagon have finally decided to go for a gastric sleeve thanks to support. Very excited and feel like its my final solution. With any luck the weight loss will mean I can also be put forward for much needed knee surgery. I dont think they would do it at my current weight - though they are saying its because im too young think its a big factor. After losing a stone here and gaining it again and trying everything and then giving up I hope this finally provides support for a slimmer future

hows everyone elses weight loss efforts going
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thank you @Sandy_123 im so excited only got a month to wait 
  • KatB79
    KatB79 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Yes, I recently started using Nutracheck. Mainly because I often forget to eat but since eating a higher minimum calorie target I've lost 2kgs so far. I'm not that heavy at 81kg but always happy to lose weight. My BMI says I need to be under 80kg.

It's hard losing weight when you can't exercise but I never knew about the minimum calorie thing. Tbf, the app didn't tell me that it was my GP but the app helps me stay on target.

Anyway, hope you manage to hit your goal xx
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    That's great! Thanks. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck for the surgery and recovery 

My sister in law had surgery few years ago and its been very successful it wasn't easy getting used to new eating habits but she lost over half her body weight she was about 25 stone pre surgery 

She has maintained her weight since 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thats really encouraging im so excited
    im a bit nervous about the liquid food bit the first up to six weeks but am so desperate now i will give it my verry best shot. My mum has said i will struggle with meal replacements but you dont get hungry apparently so im gonna show her i can do it - and myself
    just enjoying my food for last few weeks before go on liver reducing diet which is similar to the low carb diet i did for years so should be easy - three shakes and a low carb dinner like steak or fish and veg for a week
    did she have a sleeve
    im having mine in turkey as wasnt fat enough/not diabetic/not willing to wait years for NHS
  • janer1967
    Options
    Yes you don't get hungry and if you have too much or the stuff they say you can't eat then it makes you sick 

I was surprised at the small portion size she was able to eat just like side plates portion 
    The liquid and soft stuff gets boring more than anything 

It changes your whole diet and eating habits 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    was it nhs in the uk she had?

How long to lose half her body weight?

Yes side plates i was told as well

not a bit nervous just excited
  • janer1967
    Options
    It was in UK under NHS she had to go through a programme before the surgery , had to lose weight herself then liquid diet then the liver cleaning diet 

Think it was about 12 months before she had surgery 

She lost majority over first 12 months and now about 5 years on has a normal diet though small portion. 

She has put a little bit of weight back on but nothing major 
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    yeah thats what i like about it fact once you are healed you can eat anything as long as its in moderation

i heard you lose it in first year - i will easily lose the weight in 9 months if im anything like the others ive heard from but everyone is different 

i just hope it works for me too as it would be lifechanging and should help my mobility a lot
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    12 months not long for the nhs

i am not fat enough or diabetic apparently so had to fork out myself but hopeflly be worth spending savings on it if lose the nasty weight

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.