[Paid online workshop] Please join us on a workshop that aims at designing future wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

[Paid online workshop] Please join us on a workshop that aims at designing future wheelchairs

PatZhang
PatZhang Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Dear all,
I'm a phd student from UCL and my research is about developing user-centred smart wheelchairs. we are currently looking for manual or electric wheelchair users to join one of our two online workshops. Each workshop will take about 2 hours (online), and you will be paid 15 pounds amazon voucher for your time and effort.  If you or you know someone who maybe interested, please contact me: bingqing.zhang.18@ucl.ac.uk

I hope it is ok for me to post this information here. We are a research and non-commercial project. If you think it is not a suitable place to post, I will delete it ASAP]

Poster with the following information Are you a wheelchair user Would you be interested in joining one of our online workshops on July 28th to help us shape assistive technologies for the cities of the future If you are an electric wheelchair user please join us to discuss

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Hello @PatZhang

Welcome to the community, how are you? Thanks for posting about your research, it sounds very interesting and I'm sure many members will be interested.

Before we can allow your contact deails and image on the post, would youp lease fill out the attached document and return it to community@scope.org.uk. You'll be able to attach your email address and image so that we can edit them back in afterwards.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • PatZhang
    PatZhang Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Ross! I have filled the form and send it to community@scope.org.uk
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your research :) 

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Can I point out a built-in flaw?  Consulting users is excellent. (It so often seems that those producing stuff have never actually seen a user!)   But: ( a great big But), nobody will ask for what they cannot imagine. (Henry Ford said if he had asked his potential customers what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses)
    Going to disability exhibitions meant I saw a lot of prototypes or stuff only available in (usually) Germany.  (By the way, why on earth isn't there a permanent virtual international disability exhibition on-line?)
    My wish-list would blend features from various manufacturers and various innovations. But only what I know about. (e.g. carbon is light, graphine lighter, rising seats give dignity, but there's a stability problem and a battery drain. suspension is vital but reduces traction. EPIOCS are attempting the impossible, because what is best for indoors is worst for outdoors.)  If I were in the market for a replacement now, I would research long and hard. 
     My absolute hate is the 'wheelchair driving position' where everything depends on having the delicate human hand and the most delicate part of the chair both sticking out exactly where they will get bashed by doorframes and passers-by, and where the hand gets cold, the position is not natural for the human body, and there is no option of swapping hands when one of them is too tired or cold.
    I also want an attention-getter such as some kind of retracting arials with something like a balloon on top, possibly decorated to look like four  faces  surrounding your chair, at times when you are in a crowd and you don't have a rising seat chair so people don't see you in peripheral vision. (Given a straight choice, I prefer to be laughed at than sat upon.)  
    There are also two inescapable problems: Few disabled people have the odd spare million pounds.  Even if they do, there is an inevitable need for a whole set of chairs for different purposes.  

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    I have sent you an email.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.