Hey ? who works out here? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hey ? who works out here?

Options
Sparrow94
Sparrow94 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hello everyone, 

So, I got myself in such difficulty…
the good news is that, I’m taking back up my favourite hobby, ice hockey, which I have been doing since I was 8, but left at 16 due to mum didn’t want to pay for me… so after working hard, and got myself a car, my new gear, I’m ready to go back! 

But, after a training session, my god, I never got so tired so constantly after hard pushing, and this was 2 hours of hard training. Bare in mind I was under 16 when I left, I’m playing with much older people and fitter people. (Stamina wise)

I can easily blame my work outs, I have been more lazy, I also have got a gf to try to spend time with as well as work most hours on weekdays, so far my work out is:

Thursday: Skating
Weekends: ice hockey training.

I’m now cutting off sugar, I don’t drink fizzy anyway, but probably not enough water,

is there anyone out there, can help me get better in cardio or what are their routines to stay fit or more fit? YouTubing this gave me so mixture reviews, so I thought to ask a nice community here :) 

would really appreciate it ??
Sparrow
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sparrow94 hi and welcome to our community, my older advice would be to ease your self back into it at your own pace and don't expect too much too soon
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sparrow94 and a warm welcome from me too.

Good on you for returning to a sport you love and I'm not surprised those initial workouts have left you feeling exhausted.  It will take time to build your stamina back up to the levels it was when you were younger - bearing in mind you're that wee bit older too!  So, don't push yourself as this might induce an injury and give yourself credit for taking your hobbies back up again.  At this point it's about enjoying the experience, and your cardio levels will no doubt creep back up after practice.  

I used to run 3 x 5k's each week and absolutely loved it, but that has come to a halt as I'm now 6 months pregnant.  No doubt when I return to putting on my running shoes I'll be in the same position!  I'm hoping muscle memory will kick in or, failing that, good old perseverance!

In terms of cardio routines, do you have any impairments that would need accommodating?  You don't have to share if you don't wish, but just not to direct you towards something inappropriate.  Also, increasing your water intake sounds like a fab idea!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sparrow94
    Sparrow94 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello @Sparrow94 and a warm welcome from me too.

Good on you for returning to a sport you love and I'm not surprised those initial workouts have left you feeling exhausted.  It will take time to build your stamina back up to the levels it was when you were younger - bearing in mind you're that wee bit older too!  So, don't push yourself as this might induce an injury and give yourself credit for taking your hobbies back up again.  At this point it's about enjoying the experience, and your cardio levels will no doubt creep back up after practice.  

I used to run 3 x 5k's each week and absolutely loved it, but that has come to a halt as I'm now 6 months pregnant.  No doubt when I return to putting on my running shoes I'll be in the same position!  I'm hoping muscle memory will kick in or, failing that, good old perseverance!

In terms of cardio routines, do you have any impairments that would need accommodating?  You don't have to share if you don't wish, but just not to direct you towards something inappropriate.  Also, increasing your water intake sounds like a fab idea!
    Oh thanks for the advice, I don't have major disabilities besides minor autism, which doesn't affect workouts and such, and oh nice! I never done running before, (besides the school fields and such) I would think people would judge,  

I also started drinking more water, i suffer with acne on face, constant spots showing once i thought i got rid of them, and water is one of the fixes, 

And congratulations! 

woodbine said:
    @Sparrow94 hi and welcome to our community, my older advice would be to ease your self back into it at your own pace and don't expect too much too soon
    That's what I'm thinking, i went ice skating on Thursday, and boy, i felt so unhealthy to compare to how i was before, used to do a lot of ice skating and was really fast, but being back on Thursday, i just couldn't do it, was an odd feeling. so i will take it slow

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.