How long to wait for a PIP assessment date? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long to wait for a PIP assessment date?

Options
markcw
markcw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I started my PIP Claim on April 1st, and have sent back the 'How your disability affects you' form, which was acknowledged by text. I've now been waiting nearly 4 months and still haven't even got an assessment date. Is this normal? This is only the first wait, I still have the 2nd wait after the assessment. People have built houses in less time.

Comments

• hughiemachrins
    hughiemachrins Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I sent my form in at the end of April. I had my assessment at the end of June and I am now awaiting their decision. There seems to be some wild variations in the timescale between areas.
  • markcw
    markcw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I am in Norfolk. I really want to call them, but talking to these people really makes me nervous, and I will only be told that it is with the assessors, anyway, and not with the dwp anymore.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Backlogs vary from area to area and at the moment it’s hugely impacted still. I’ve read people of applying late last year only been assessed now. Unfortunately it really is a waiting game. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @markcw

I appreciate it's no consolation but you aren't alone in your experience.  Many of our other members are reporting the same delays with some, as @MarkN88 points, out much longer.  The PIP system is experiencing increased demand and with the fall-out of the pandemic these backlogs have sadly stacked up.  I think it's a case of sitting tight for now and holding out for that contact.  

Please keep us updated with how you get on, and fingers crossed for some news sooner rather than later.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.