Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Read @Richard_Scope's article in the Metro about disabled childrens' access to sport

Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,038

Scope community team

edited July 14 in Disabled people

You can read our very own @Richard_Scope in this week's Metro talking about the barriers disabled children face in accessing sport and the problems posed by non-participation.

Two photos of Richard sat in his wheelchair one in an urban backdrop and the other whilst at the gym

Speaking about his own experience of growing up with Cerebral Palsy and how valuable being included in games lessons was, Richard reflects that to have been left out would have made him feel:
'different’ and it probably would have affected the other pupils’ relationships with me and how they treated me too.

The benefits of sport to disabled children - and those of all ages - are without question and extend beyond the physical to boosting emotional wellbeing, meeting others and increasing confidence.  

However, research conducted by Scope found that since the start of the pandemic:

Almost half (48%) of [those surveyed] have become less active... with many facing barriers to exercise due to shielding or fears about the risk of catching Covid-19. And... 42% said their mental health ha[d] worsened as a result of being less active, and 51% said that their mobility, dexterity or movement ha[d] taken a dip.

Richard goes on to unpack the reasons behind disabled young people's exclusion from sport, identifying a lack of understanding by teachers, inaccessible gyms, expensive equipment and "a culture of caution now – with so much red tape around everything" as just some of the factors restricting equal access to sport for those with impairments.

Want to have a read for yourself?  Then check out "Disabled kids don't deserve to be left out of school sports lessons' on the Metro website.

Over to you:

• Were you left out of P.E. lessons at school? Or, did your school adapt lessons and ensure you were included?
  • How did this make you feel?
  • Do you still find barriers to joining in sport you'd like to take up?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. 

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Tagged:

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,186

Scope community team

A super read, well done @Richard_Scope :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,358 Pioneering
    Great article @Richard_Scope, thank you for sharing this. 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,541 Pioneering
    Very good article @Richard_Scope, I hope it inspires others to try get active. ( myself included) 
  • GlobsterGlobster Community Co-Production Group Posts: 737 Pioneering
    edited July 17
    @Richard_Scope
    It was a fantastic article Richard well done
  • LukeChesterLukeChester Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Great article. In the XXI century, equal access to sport for everyone should be normality, not a dream.
    I'm always glad to hear stories about people who break through any obstacles and restrictions to show that nothing is impossible. For example, I was impressed by facts of women’s participation in sport throughout history and their struggle for sports equality. 
    Fortunately, more and more people speak about it, and it opens more possibilities to everyone.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,186

Scope community team

Glad you enjoyed the article @LukeChester :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,358 Pioneering
    I agree, we need to continue to speak about the possibilities in relation to sport and how everyone, regardless of who they are, should be able to join in if they wish to. I help to coach a football team for people with Cerebral Palsy. The most important thing is that everyone is included and everyone has fun and we certainly do that :) Thank you.
  • bekindalwaysbekindalways Posts: 8 Listener
    This message should maybe have had some real time 'kids' who are in real-time disabled and disadvantaged.  I looked at the two photos and just saw two grown men, clearly disabled but plugging the child aspect. For that to take hold and hit the hearts of people, it should have what you were like both as a child and an adult. Two adults and seeking recognition using children as an anchor is simply wrong. My apologies if I offended anyone in any way. 
Sign in or join us to comment.