I've just sent off my first PIP claim. How does the process work? Will I get a phone assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just sent off my first PIP claim. How does the process work? Will I get a phone assessment?

Options
wills78
wills78 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey everyone, 
I have just sent off my first claim for pip/DLA 
Does anyone know the process ? Will I get a phone assessment before a decision? 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited July 2021
    Options
    More than likely you will need an assessment carried out by a HCP. This at the moment is mainly by telephone however I do know they have started some face to face too again. 

Sometimes they do a paper based assessment if they feel they have all the information they need to do this but I believe this is rare. 
  • wills78
    Options
    Hi thank you for your replay… do you know the approx time it takes from them receiving the form to the phone / face to face assessment 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It varies from area to area. Some people get it completed within a few months and then others wait several months. There are plenty of stories on here and other forums where people who applied Late last year are only been assessed at the moment. 

Unfortunately it’s a waiting game. 

If you go on to be awarded PIP it will be backdated to the day you phoned to start your claim. 
  • wills78
    Options
    Ok thank you that is useful, ? I live in Plymouth in Devon … I’m not sure what the timeline is down here 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

You will first of all get the pip forms to complete and send back with any supporting evidence and return within a month 

You will then get a assessment appointment either phone or f2f possibly paper based but they are rare

After the assessment the report is sent back to dwp and a decision maker will decide if any award and or what award is given 

Currently they are saying the whole process is taking up to 10 months to complete 

Some people who applied in Dec are still waiting for assessments 

It then takes around 8 to 10 weeks to get the decision 

All I would say is don't expect a quick process unless you are one of the lucky ones 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wills78 and a warm welcome to our online community.

It's great to see our members have filled you in on how PIP generally works.  If you have any other questions along the way, we'd be more than happy to help.

As not to bamboozle you, I've moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA category and tweaked the title to help others spot what it's about.  Feel free to join in any other discussion while you are here :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.