Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Does gardening make you happier?

Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,038

Scope community team

edited July 15 in Coffee lounge

The team at Thrive have produced an abundance of resources based around the topic of gardening and benefits to mental health.  In today’s thread we share some of these with you and ask: does gardening make you happier?

A layout of gardening tools including secateurs and gloves

Gardening as the route to zen?

Thrive are passionate about using gardening to bring positive changes to the lives of disabled people and just recently we shared a thread asking if our members wanted to do more gardening to which many said they did!
The reasons given included its positive effect on mental wellbeing, enjoyment from seeing plants and flowers grow, and relaxation from pottering about.   

How can gardening be good for mental health?

Thrive have done lots of research and work around increasing emotional wellbeing through gardening.  You can read more about this by visiting the following Thrive webpages:

Over to you:

• Have you spent much time gardening lately?
• What does gardening do for your state of mind?
• What bits of gardening do you most enjoy?

Let us know in the comments below and feel free to send us pics of your garden! (We love to see it  <3 )

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,615 Disability Gamechanger
    Without a commute in 16 months I have spent the time walking for an hour in the morning before work. Without football to watch on a Saturday afternoon bar a live stream I have been able to attack the garden; afford high quality gardening tools and spend at least half a day each weekend and some week day evenings doing so. 

Most of the work has been firefighting. Ripping out bamboo; cleaning the patio and decking; weeding like crazy; attacking horses tails in particular and the ivy from next door; painting fence panels and more. This year those tasks still exist but we have been able to do actual gardening such as planting plants and vegetables. 

I would say I can't now do without my dose of air each Saturday and there were points last year where it saved me mentally from going under when managing a workload somewhere between 80% and 200% up on the norm.
  • callumchilledcallumchilled Member Posts: 14 Courageous
    I’d say gardening is great way to relax, enjoy the outdoors, feel proud when your little planted babies bloom and blossom. I only have a back yard, but I’ve made the most of it, and it is burgeoning with plantlife. I love to tend the plants, and see how they’re doing, and in the evening, sit out among them with a G&T.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,690 Disability Gamechanger
    I planted an apple pip this year and it’s grown over ten inches into a pert little tree. It’s given me a great deal of joy nurturing it and watching it thrive. Wonderful 🙂
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,615 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    I planted an apple pip this year and it’s grown over ten inches into a pert little tree. It’s given me a great deal of joy nurturing it and watching it thrive. Wonderful 🙂
    That’s lovely. I’ve just been out doing a third paint job on the decking. Next job for me is to reduce a silver birch by about 50%. Our onions and cabbage are coming along nicely.
  • DuninnDuninn Member Posts: 58 Connected
    started started with three planters and a Rhubarb - made apple rumble, the creation of crumble helped exercise fingers and it tasted great so did it again and again and again. Don’t like gooseberries - mistake but they’ll feed the Squirrels!   
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,020

Scope community team

I don't have a garden sadly, but I do have some cacti in my room that I tend to. I also have a grow your own cactus kit, which I've been meaning to start for ages!

I expect to be sent some delicious crumble @Duninn :D 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ayoung1979Ayoung1979 Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    I've started getting seeds and plan to plant them in our yard next year
  • PlainSailingPlainSailing Member Posts: 6 Connected
    As well as making you happier it’s so good for your mental health and wellbeing. Even if you don’t have your own garden going outside and spending time in nature, observing how things have grown and developed is so so good for us. As is saying hello to people you see while out, whether it is from your garden, while walking or on your way to the shop. CC just getting outside is crucial 
  • rudolfrudolf Member Posts: 10 Listener
    I like growing vegetables and find it very therapeutic. I’m not in the position to grow much at the moment but I’m hoping to have use of an allotment.
Sign in or join us to comment.