Learning disability in work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Learning disability in work

Options
Edikie
Edikie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Just wanted to talk about disability in work place
Having disability in employment is hard beacuse I v always been slow with task I have to do and hard to learn quickly I haven’t done before if someone says I’m too slow will get annoyed beacuse it my disability and also if I don’t get enough with support
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Edikie :) 

Are you employed at the moment? 

I can understand why you might be worried about not getting enough support at work. Have you ever heard of reasonable adjustments? These are things that can be put in place to help you succeed in the workplace and reach your full potential.

Mencap have some information about employing people with learning difficulties. It's aimed towards employers, but the information might still be useful:
    Under the Equality Act 2010, all employers must make reasonable adjustments for disabled applicants and employee’s in order to create fair access to employment opportunities for disabled people, and to ensure that they are not seriously disadvantaged when doing their job.. A reasonable adjustment is based on understanding what will enable the employee to best perform in the role.

This could be installing a ramp for someone with a physical disability, a special keyboard, or letting them work from home.  For someone with a learning disability, a reasonable adjustment may mean, for example, making adjustments to the recruitment process. An online application and formal interview process can unfairly prohibit people with a learning disability from demonstrating their ability to fulfil a role.  
    A  reasonable adjustment therefore could be  to consider other ways for people with a learning disability to apply. e.g.using work trials rather than a formal interview. The adjustments needed are not extensive, and only need to be made if applicable in the context of job. 

Does that make sense? 

Scope also has some more general information about reasonable adjustments that you might find helpful. 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.