Should you be required to provide a verified form of ID to open a social media account? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should you be required to provide a verified form of ID to open a social media account?

2»

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Many of them will be called moderators or admins, or things along those lines @Emilyb81 :) Plenty of forums, and similar platforms, will use volunteer moderators, so it could be worth having a look around to see if you could get any experience under your belt through volunteering online if that's something you're interested in? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    edited July 2021
    No, it shouldn't be required for people to provide a verified form of ID in order to open a social media account
    woodbine said:
    Isn't it the case that perhaps social media platforms like facebook have become too big and almost impossible to police, with their 2 billion members many of them making multiple hits per day.
    I have in the past reported things to facebook that I thought were just plain wrong only for them to take no action.
    Sadly you cannot uninvent the wheel.
    nope, if social media platforms care about online safety they would police things properly and as it is many of them covertly support fascism and other movements that lead to harm online. thats what happens when there arent legal requirements to do so. putting ID in place as a verification requirement lets these corporations off the hook.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, it should be required for people to provide a verified form of ID in order to open a social media account
    Stellar said:
    woodbine said:
    Isn't it the case that perhaps social media platforms like facebook have become too big and almost impossible to police, with their 2 billion members many of them making multiple hits per day.
    I have in the past reported things to facebook that I thought were just plain wrong only for them to take no action.
    nope, if social media platforms care about online safety they would police things properly and as it is many of them covertly support fascism and other movements that lead to harm online. thats what happens when there arent legal requirements to do so. putting ID in place as a verification requirement lets these corporations off the hook.
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that social media platforms covertly support facism?
    Thats one I would like to see supported with evidence.
    It's like all things internet, it has good bits and bad bits but again as I said you can't uninvent the wheel.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Yes, it should be required for people to provide a verified form of ID in order to open a social media account
    Coolio thankyou @Tori_Scope i will seriously think about that because i am wasting my life doing nothing really mainly due to my health problems but there must be a way round that i mean surely people with mental and or physical illness are able to volunteer etc! Doing nothing or believing i cant do anything makes me feel so much worse in every way! So onwards and upwards! The fact i am even able to consider or be interested in working is huge!   I genuinely havent considered having any kind if job or career since i became more poorly! So this is really positive to focus on for me! Thankyou ??? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    No, it shouldn't be required for people to provide a verified form of ID in order to open a social media account
    @MarkN88 people will use fake id anyway but if they are under 18 and only a forum without private messaging being monitored 24hrs so that phone numbers and addresses can't be exchanged that wil be safer than hoing on Facebook and messenger  

On this forum there is a private message function where phone numbers and addresses can be given no one realy knows what people are like  so realy it's no safer than Facebook in thst context 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @MarkN88 people will use fake id anyway but if they are under 18 and only a forum without private messaging being monitored 24hrs so that phone numbers and addresses can't be exchanged that wil be safer than hoing on Facebook and messenger  

On this forum there is a private message function where phone numbers and addresses can be given no one realy knows what people are like  so realy it's no safer than Facebook in thst context 
    Very true, but at the moment, what would be the point in creating somewhere, where there is no facility to interact? People will just use what’s available. 

So in my opinion it’s better to come up with solutions for the current social media than come up with new platforms people won’t use whilst others are available. 
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    edited July 2021
    woodbine said:
    Stellar said:
    woodbine said:
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that social media platforms covertly support facism?
    Thats one I would like to see supported with evidence.
    It's like all things internet, it has good bits and bad bits but again as I said you can't uninvent the wheel.
    to give one examples about twitter - that site has a probem with terfs that harrass and troll trans people (including from many sock accounts) that are never banned - which is very troubling as many of them are UK political and media figures like jess phillips and j k rowling. terfs are fascists. this is despite the fact transphobia is against twitter rules yet trans people are often banned for defending themselves. 

another example - due to germany's laws, anyone located in germany has to have many neo-nazi accounts automatically blocked. this by extension, also includes many US Republican senators. if such a restriction was applied worldwide that site would become a lot safer, yet because its not legally required, twitter won't.

both the above examples are condoning fascism. if you do not explicitly oppose fascism (ie. by banning it and deplatforming fascists promptly), you are condoning it. hence social media platforms are pro-fascist because most do not do this.

notice how many of these people use their real name? note that even if an ID verification law was in place they'd still be allowed to spread such utter bile and hatred? because social media sites don't care about banning fascists? that's why ID verification will not work and will only shut out the most vulnerable from accessing onlne safe spaces.

The wheel can be reinvented in the context of social media and arguing otherwise is disingenuous.

i could provide evidence for you but it's already out there if you look for it yourself.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.