What happens at ESA F2f assessments? I'm thinking of cancelling my claim as I have severe anxiety. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What happens at ESA F2f assessments? I'm thinking of cancelling my claim as I have severe anxiety.

1307tired Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi All I've been on this community for awhile but this is first post, looking at the pip forum I took all advise on board and was successful in claiming after having to do an MR.
Now my ssp has run out I had to put a claim in for New style ESA, I've just had a missed call that I couldn't answer due to Anziety the lady left a voicemail which sounds like she has sent me a letter out for a face to face appointment, I've spent the past 2 years practially shielding due to now been clinically vulnerable due to an accident at work and the thought of having to go out to an appointment has sent my anxiety through the roof.
Does anyone know what happens at these assessments?  I'm seriously starting to think I'll cancel my claim as I know what I'll have to go through running up to the date, my pip assessment was over the phone and that was traumatic in its self never mind having to go out.

Any advise would be greatly received.
Thank you. 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,311 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    You may be able to request a telephone assessment or possibly a home assessment 

    Wait till you get the letter to make sure it is f2f then call and explain 

    You may need a letter from your gp giving reasons why you are unable to attend f2f 
  • 1307tired
    1307tired Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much for your reply, I'll wait for the letter on the voicemail she did say something about a map so I assumed this is of where I need to go.
    I did sent the evidence from my psychological report and one from my therapist which states the problems I have going out...but they seem to have ignored that.
    If I am made to go I will need medication just to get me there, but do you know what happens at the assessments I've never been in this position before.
    Thank you 
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    Hello @1307tired and thank you for making your first post on the community!  It's great to meet you.  How are you today?  Do you think you're receiving enough support with your anxiety?

    Please try not to worry too much at this point (granted - easier said than done).  If when you receive the letter it confirms that the assessment will be face to face, you can ask for adjustments or a home assessment by contacting the Health Advisory Assessment Service.  Here's a link to the Citizen's Advice webpage that contains more details about this.

    Well done on your MR success by the way :)

    Just to let you know, I tweaked the title of your thread to help others better spot it too.  Please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 1307tired
    1307tired Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you both for replies.
    At the moment I'm having trauma therapy the main focus seems to be that, with Anziety getting put to aside and getting worse, the smallest thing like this sets it off worse.
    Thank you I'll wait for letter and confirm what's happening, I didn't know about the health advisory service, ill look into it.
    Glad I plucked up the courage to ask on here.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,398 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you asked too @1307tired, and hopefully the advice provided has been helpful for you. Best of luck.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.