Step mum trying to understand ASD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Step mum trying to understand ASD

Options
Gail76
Gail76 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I was blessed to become a step mum in 2019 to two very troubled children. 
I’ve been told that I’m doing a fantastic job but sometimes I don’t feel like I am. 
My son (15) was diagnosed with ASD in December 2020 and he is very loving on a good day, but my husband and I are struggling to parent him. When he doesn’t get the answer he is looking for he shuts down and will not talk, he also has a meltdown and wrecks the house. 
It’s been a huge struggle for me over the past year with COVID / work. I am now on antidepressants (which has been a god send) 
I could write so much more but I’m not sure where to begin. I know I’m not alone. 
Any advice would be appreciated. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Gail76

Welcome to the community, I am glad to see you join us. 

I'm sorry to hear of how you've been struggling recently, it sounds as though you and your husband are doing fantastically but just in a difficult situation. Have you been in regular contact with your son's health professionals about his behaviour? In case they have anything they could suggest you try.

The National Autistic Society (NAS) have a helpline which you might want to access, and Scope offers Parents Connect sessions, which give you the chance to receive peer support and advice.

How are you finding your current mental health treatment? It appears as though you are thankful for having the medication, but do ensure you go back to your GP if you ever feel as though your current plan isn't supporting you as best as it could.

You certainly aren't alone, but that doesn't make your situation any less significant and I hope things improve soon for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.