Help with housing. I have a mortgaged I'm on UC and PIP. I know about SMI, is there anything else? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with housing. I have a mortgaged I'm on UC and PIP. I know about SMI, is there anything else?

Big_Al_71
Big_Al_71 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi was just wondering if anyone new of any other help I could get with housing I have a 1 bedroom flat that is mortgaged I have been on  universal credit I am in the LCWRA support group and receive the standard care rate of pip I know about SMI but was just wondering if there is anything else Thanks in   advance Big Al

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I presume you mean help to pay your mortgage rather than help with your housing 

Unfortunately there is no help from any benefits towards mortgage payments 

I suggest you contact your lender to see if they can help maybe you could go onto a internal only mortgage for a while to help reduce payment 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Just SMI, which is itself a loan, on which interest is charged, secured against your property. Only eligible if you have no earnings taken into account on your UC claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Couple of things, you can ask your lender to put you on "interest only" for a period, or you could ask them if they can offer you a better deal e.g a lower interest rate.
    Are you claiming SMI?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Big_Al_71
    No not yet I have had savings upto now but they are depleting fast  I have the forms to fill out for it just not done it yet I am not very good with forms etc  just now?
  • calcotti
    You need to make sure you understand SMI. As I see it, SMI is not a welfare benefit, it is a financial contract.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Big_Al_71
    Yes it is a loan that you have to pay back with I interest on the backend of your mortgage payable if you sell your property that's why I haven't  applied for it yet but looks like I will have to as savings are running dry 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to do as others have advised and contact your lender 

They are used to dealing with these sort of issues and will work with you to put a suitable plan in place 

I have been there myself had interest only for a while,  then reduced payments another time even nil payment for 6 months 

Obviously it all gets added onto the debt but very useful to get out of being repossessed 
  • calcotti
    Big_Al_71 said:
    Yes it is a loan that you have to pay back with I interest on the backend of your mortgage payable if you sell your property that's why I haven't  applied for it yet but looks like I will have to as savings are running dry 
    The problem is that it only covers interest so unless you can continue to pay back capital I can’t see that it really helps. Moreover you try and better your position by working then you lose the SMI (which makes no sense in the context of the stated Tory aim of ‘making work pay’).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.