Is it legal for there to be no ground floor access to toilets in social venues? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it legal for there to be no ground floor access to toilets in social venues?

Options
margaret6mary6
margaret6mary6 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello. I had embarassing moment after lunch in a restaurant. Two people with me, had to virtually carry me up two flights of stairs to the toilet. There was no ground floor toilet. Is this still legal

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm not sure but I think only premises built after a certain date have to be accessible and provide accessible facilities 

I may be wrong 

Being a wheelchair user i come across this often 

I hope others will be able to give you a  definitive answer 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    @margaret6mary6
    Hi there
    If I have copied the link correctly, you may find it contains useful info. 
    Disabled guests | VisitEngland (visitbritain.org)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @margaret6mary6

I'm sorry that happened to you and can appreciate it being embarrassing.  Toilet access is a fundamental need and without it, disabled customers face a huge barrier in accessing services in a dignified way.

Services have a duty to make reasonable adjustments so that both disabled and non-disabled people can access them equally.  To my knowledge there are two pieces of government legislation/guidance related to this and the provision of disabled toilets:
    Whilst the onus is on what it is reasonable for a service to do - see this Citizen's Advice webpage on 'Duty to make reasonable adjustments' which further states:
    If someone doesn’t cooperate with their duty to make reasonable adjustments, the Equality Act says it’s unlawful discrimination. You can ask the person or organisation to make the necessary changes. If they refuse, you can make a discrimination claim under the Equality Act.
    To speak more about this with someone trained in this area, I'd highly recommend speaking with the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) who have a helpline: 0808 800 0082 which you can contact between Monday - Friday: 9am - 7pm and Saturday: 10am - 2pm.

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our Disabled people's category to make it more visible to other members.

I hope today is a good one for you.  Take care and you know where we are if you need us.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Note that Part M of the Building Regulations only applies when building works are being carried out - it doesn't mandate the carrying out of building work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A quick question @Cher_Scopeor anyone else 

The regulations you shared are all from 2010 so does that mean prior to then they did not apply 

I an interested to know as I said in my reply are there any regulations for old premises 

I would imagine it wouldn't be considered reasonable adjustments if the cost of providing access and accessible facilities is too high 

As is the same in employment law 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janer1967

To my knowledge (others may have more insight), the Equality Act 2010 superseded the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 of which point 21 relates to the 'Duty of providers of services to make adjustments'.  Again what is 'reasonable' seems to be the key word.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    There is some guidance here
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85011/disability.pdf
    Page 7 includes
    What is reasonable will depend on all the circumstances, including the cost of an adjustment, the potential benefit it might bring to other customers (ramps and automatic doors benefit customers with small children or heavy luggage, for example), the resources an organisation has and how practical the changes are.
    So providing a ground floor toilet (or a lift to the upper floor) will be a completely different proposition for a small coffee shop with half a dozen tables to a large restaurant. The latter will have more space to accommodate change and may have greater financial resources.

Ultimately what is reasonable is a matter for the courts.

More guidance here
    https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/servicescode_0.pdf
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.