If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any ideas on things I can do /not able to work due to illness

Options
Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
Can anyone recommend any ideas to what I can do at home to keep me busy /any suggestions welcome /low cost if possible ?thank you in advance 

Comments

• Faith2008
    Faith2008 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tammyjane, I have been house bound for a year now and struggling with pain and walking/standing for a few years. I have found it very difficult not leaving the house almost like living in prison it’s been so hard. I manage to get in the garden and basically weed and try and do some gardening sitting on my bottom. I used to draw but I can’t hold a pen for long so I have only got pleasure out of sitting in the garden. If you don’t have a garden potting plants or seeding is time consuming and cheap. 
  • Tammyjane33
    Options
    @Faith2008 thank you so much for your response and your suggestions. They are very helpful. I'm so sorry you've been through that and I can relate to how you feel. It isn't nice trying to cope and get through the day in pain. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to message me.
    Take care, 
    Tammy 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 620 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

What I try and do to keep myself busy is constantly learn and do skill courses. Theres lots of courses available for free you can do online and lots of online materials. You can literally learn anything and maybe find and gain a new hobby or something your interested in.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    If you are inclined to do so. Try writing. It's said writing should be based on your own experience. I write now and then but use my imagination and try writing anything I think off. It is hard, but easier when using a computer. Spelling and grammar can be done for you and so you don't have to worry about that. I'm not talking about writing for publication, although that would be good but for your own pleasure.
  • Brightday
    Brightday Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tammyjane,
    I'm the same..stuck in day after day..with no one to talk to apart from the cat!
    I'm like Faith and try and do some gardening..only have pots as easier.  Try planting some plants on a windowsill .
    I also read..can even find some free audio books if you look for them.
    I do daily crosswords, suduko online..costs nothing...keeps the mind ticking over.
    I'm a U tube fanatic always find something interesting on there..good for when its a rainy duvet day.
    Maybe take up an online course..if you look at Groupon or wowcher  they always have something.
    Hope I've given you a few ideas. 
  • Tammyjane33
    Options
    Thank you all for the amazing comments and support. It means so much ?
  • Ryanna
    Ryanna Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    @Tammyjane33 I've been writing to penpals for 40 years now. There are some good online free penpal sites if you are interested I could tell you more.  For me communicating in any way really helps me with my anxiety.  I prefer writing letters and sending in the post, but e-pals are also really popular now.

It's fun to get a letter through the post and to be able to share your thoughts in a letter with someone.  Just an idea for you :)
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hey! Sorry to hear that you are unable to work due to illness, however it is important to take time to focus on your health and well-being. I do hope that you feel better soon or, at the very least, keep improving daily.

Here are some ideas of things you could do in your free time:

• Colouring - I have recently found a new hobby in this, it is relaxing and you can enjoy this whilst watching TV or listening to music. You can get some crayons and a colouring book online for not too much money, or from a supermarket.
    • Walking - If you are able to, go for a walk and get some fresh air. You could adventure into your local area, enjoy the weather and discover new places. Being outdoors is great for your mental and physical health, it can really lift your spirits.
    • Series/TV - I am going to assume you have Netflix, Amazon Prime or a similar streaming service. Of course, normal TV is also a good option. Find some films you enjoy or a new series that you can rally get into. I'm not sure what sort of genres you enjoy, but I highly recommend Greys Anatomy, Station 19, Friends...just to name a few.
    Hope some of these ideas help, enjoy your time off work and focus on getting better. Sending positive vibes.?

• Ryanna
    Options
    @mia97 I'm with you on the colouring... especially while watching Netflix.. it's a kind of meditation.

Also I find doing Codewords is surprisingly relaxing.
  • Tammyjane33
    Options
    @mia97 thank you for your suggestions, I've always wanted a penpals but some sites are filled with scammers x
  • Ryanna
    Options
    @mia97 thank you for your suggestions, I've always wanted a penpals but some sites are filled with scammers x
    I can understand your concern. I've been penpalling for 40 years now and have used two penpal websites.

I would recommend https://www.globalpenfriends.com

If you wanted to try one. You can send one message per day for free and you can search by epal or snail mail and other categories.

This site has been really good for me. :)

• Tammyjane33
    Options
    Thank you for your recommendation 😁
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.