I have a child with high sensory needs, autism, and sleeping disorder. Anyone else? Feeling alone — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have a child with high sensory needs, autism, and sleeping disorder. Anyone else? Feeling alone

Options
Carrianne21
Carrianne21 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hiya i have a 3 year old with high sensory needs and Austim and sleeping disorder anyone has same to chat too i feel alone 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Carrianne21 :) Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling quite alone, but it's really normal for parents to feel this way. I'm glad that you've joined the community, and hope we can be a good source of support for you. I've moved your post into our parents and carers category, which you might like to take a look through. You may also want to take a look through our category for discussions relating to autism, as we often get parents posting in there.

Have you ever heard of Scope's family services? They might be of interest to you:
    • Parents Connect: gives parents an opportunity to meet and learn from other parents of disabled children
    • Sleep Right: practical support for parents of children who'd like to improve their child's sleep
    • Navigate: emotional support for parents of children on the pathway to a diagnosis, or who have recent received a diagnosis
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 558 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community,

I'm not a parent myself but I am an adult with Autism. I also have sensory issues with touch, smell and noise and bad sleeping patterns and behavior with meltdowns. Have you reached out and spoke to the National Autistic Society (NAS) yet? they are wonderful at advice and support.

I think its a great thing that your child was diagnosed early, it means they will have the right support in place to grow up and work on their developmental skills especially when it comes to schooling. Unfortunatley it was too late for me as I was diagnosed in my late teens and didn't have any support in place, so I was expelled from school at 15 as my constant meltdowns were always just seen as bad behavior.

Also don't forget about yourself, I know with autism we can be difficult to control at times, and can have meltdowns but we process the world differently and sometimes that can be overwhelming for us, but also I know it has an effect on family and those closest to us, so please look after yourself and manage your own mental health too.

Theres a huge support network out there and just know you are not alone, with the right support network and plans in place you and your child can manage and live a happy life.

I wish you all the best and ask any questions you have, although everyone on the spectrum is different we all share similar struggles in life.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• freedomlife54
    freedomlife54 Community member Posts: 2 Courageous
    Options
    I am a person who has a granddaughter with autism and starting the process of being assessed myself.  My granddaughter has sleeping issues as well. I also have worked in a school for autistic children so iif you need some one to chat with please make contact 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.