What benefits if in residential care? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits if in residential care?

forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
I'm currently trying to find out exactly what benefits someone (young disabled adult) would still be able to claim if they moved into a supported living type residential setting, funded by NHS CHC.  Not a nursing home or a care home but a specialist physical disability provision.  There would need to be a lot of personal care and other physical support but not really any "medical" input as such.  I gather that the mobility component of PiP is not lost but I have read differing things about income based ESA (person is not on UC).  No other benefits are currently being claimed and so if the ESA is also lost it looks as if they would actually have no income bar mobility component of PiP.  They are in the support group for ESA.  Thanks for any pointers!


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA would not be affected other than that if the ESA entitlement previously included SDP this would be lost.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 375 Pioneering
    In residential care you are allowed to keep a personal allowance from you ESA of £25.65 per week. The rest of your ESA you still receive but pay it all as financial contribution towards your care. You can not claim the care / daily living component of PIP in residential care b it you can keep your mobility part of PIP. So after paying care contribution you have your mobility of PIP at whatever rate you claim that and your personal allowance leftover of ESA of £25.65 per week. I live in a residential care home for adults with severe autism and learning disabilities.
    supported living it is different. You keep more benefits but bear in mind you would be responsible for paying your own bills and paying for your food and transport out of the money you keep so not necessarily better off as in residential you pay a lot but you get a lot included.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.