Newbie Alert! ? UC help needed please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Newbie Alert! ? UC help needed please

Bee1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone, I'm Bee1,
 My husband and I started claiming UC in Sept' 2020. In October a month later, I uploaded a Fit Note which my Gp had signed 'indefinite' . Since then I have had to sign my regular 'commitments' and have stated many times that I didn't think any of the questions were relevant to me and should I still be signing them and I'm told yes each time. There have been several instances where I feel I'm getting nowhere fast with any of the 'advisors'. However a couple of months ago, I was told that no more than the initial Fit Note was required and I would be sent a Questionnaire! I'm still waiting and have asked several times if it has been sent, with no answer ? Their lack of communication is worthy of an Oscar! So if anyone could help with this dilemma and what else I can write on my journal to promote a response, I'd be very grateful, thank you ?


  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    edited July 2021
    Hi @Bee1 and a warm welcome to our online community.  Unfortunately, you aren't alone as the UC system and WCA assessment process is experiencing increased demand and as such, long delays :(  

    Have you tried calling Universal Credit to speak with your case manager?  Or sometimes our members recommend putting a note in journals under 'payment' or 'service query' then your case manager should see it and <fingers crossed> respond.

    Failing that, there is always the option to contact your local MP or lodge a complaint.  I'm sorry it's taken this long but please keep trying and let us know if you have any progress.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,281 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you have earnings being taken into account which exclude you from being referred for a Work Capability Assessment you should have been sent the UC50 29 days after you reported your health condition supported by a Fit Note (except for some conditions for which the the form should have been issued on day 1 and which are not subject to the earnings rule).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bee1
    Bee1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you both for your replies and help. It's so very hard when their lack of communication and the delay in sending me the UC50 form impinges on my mental health and creates increased daily anxiety ?
    I'll plough on messaging on the journal and will ask why it wasn't sent 29 days after I uploaded the Fit Note, which would have been last November (9 months ago)!!

  • Bee1
    Bee1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sorry, no I do not have earnings. My husband works full time and I have DLA.
  • Bee1
    Bee1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I have previously messaged about my situation, but can't locate it to continue commenting, so I shall start a new thread if that's ok with the Admin.
    It has now been one whole year since I uploaded my one and only Fit Note to my journal (Gp stated 'Indefinite') I have requested several times for a UC50 form to be sent and none have arrived. I've been asked three times if I've received it... my last reply to this advisor has also been ignored...none of them have replied! So despite the anxiety that is constantly being fuelled by their lack of communication and the state of play, I feel I must press forward and make an official/formal complaint online to the DWP about the DWP ...unless there is an intermediary dept somewhere? I need advise and help with wording as I am struggling massively with physical and mental health. I fear my complaint will spiral out of my control and how it will impact me as I struggle with speaking on the phone, due to brain fog and word misplacement...or can it all be done via email... please tell me I'm not opening up a huge can of worms ?
    Thank you for reading x


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.