What ESA is my mum on? & how could this change because of PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What ESA is my mum on? & how could this change because of PIP

Options
CatsMeow
CatsMeow Community member Posts: 17 Connected
She was initially on incapacity benefit, before the introduction on ESA. She remains in the Support Group.

From what I can understand she is in, both? Which is a bit odd from everything I read and the fact she has never really worked her whole life.

The reason I'm curious is she received high rate PIP last week. She lives with my dad who gets carers allowance for my cousin (but we might swap that now), so i'm wondering what premiums she could get for ESA?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

There are no extra premiums unless your dad gets pip as well 

If si she may be entitled to sdp but to get that she has live alone or with someone who also gets pip and that nobody claims carers allowance for her 
  • CatsMeow
    Options
    Is enhanced disability premium not a thing?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    CatsMeow said:
    She remains in the Support Group. From what I can understand she is in, both? 
    Not sure what you mean by ‘in both’, the Support Group is part of ESA.

The £114.10 is a normal single person contribution based ESA amount. Although she has never worked she is entitled to contribution based ESA because she was previously on IB.

The £176.55 payable is due to an extra £62.45 which is transitional protection added at the time she transferred from IB to ESA to ensure she did not experience a drop in benefit. 

If her ESA was calculated as an income based award it would be made up of a couple allowance £117.40, the Support Component £39.40, the Enhanced Disability Premium £24.60 and a Carer Premium £37.70 from which dad’s Carer Allowance of £67.60 would be deducted. This gives a total which is less than she is actually getting, hence no income based ESA is payable.

The award of PIP will make no difference to her ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • CatsMeow
    Options
    calcotti said:
    CatsMeow said:
    She remains in the Support Group. From what I can understand she is in, both? 
    Not sure what you mean by ‘in both’, the Support Group is part of ESA.

The £114.10 is a normal single person contribution based ESA amount. Although she has never worked she is entitled to contribution based ESA because she was previously on IB.

The £176.55 payable is due to an extra £62.45 which is transitional protection added at the time she transferred from IB to ESA to ensure she did not experience a drop in benefit. 

If her ESA was calculated as an income based award it would be made up of a couple allowance £117.40, the Support Component £39.40, the Enhanced Disability Premium £24.60 and a Carer Premium £37.70 from which dad’s Carer Allowance of £67.60 would be deducted. This gives a total which is less than she is actually getting, hence no income based ESA is payable.

The award of PIP will make no difference to her ESA.

I'm still a little bit confused but thank you.

I've always associated contribution based with working. I'm still not sure if she's on income based or contribution based? Is she only on contribution based because she was on incapacity benefit then?

I know she gets housing benefit etc which is means tested.

Surely the rules for income based must apply to her, for example the 6k savings rule etc.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    CatsMeow said: I've always associated contribution based with working. I'm still not sure if she's on income based or contribution based? Is she only on contribution based because she was on incapacity benefit then?
    Yes people who transferred from IB to ESA were treated as meeting the NI conditions for contribution based ESA.

Because of the transitional protection her ESA appears to be entirely contribution based so the means testing rules do not apply to her ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.