My daughter is diagnosed with ADHD. Psychologist suspects ASD but she now won't engage. What to do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter is diagnosed with ADHD. Psychologist suspects ASD but she now won't engage. What to do?

CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
edited July 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, my adult daughter was diagnosed with ADHD last year but now the psychologist wonders if it’s worth her going for an Autism diagnosis too. The meds for the ADHD never worked.

She’s not happy with this and has now refused to talk to him further, asking him to email any further information over.

I’m stuck what to do! She refuses and everything is still the same, she’s at home…no job…won’t answer the phone or door, I’m so worried. Today she was talking about what happens after we are dead. Conversations like this I find difficult as it’s not something I’d ever probably think about.

Any advice welcome, thanks I’m at the end of my tether and am at loss to where to go…….
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CoffeeFirst

Ahh, I'm sorry, that sounds difficult to say the least. Has your daughter said why she's unhappy with exploring an Autism diagnosis? Is there something she's scared of that you could talk through? I'm no expert in this area by a country mile so apologies if this is something you've already thought of and tried to glean from her, but I wonder what's at the root of her avoidance?

Also, what has the psychologist advised in terms of next steps?  And, would you feel comfortable approaching your GP for advice?  The National Autistic Society has a directory of services which you could possibly search for help from someone local to you.

I've amended your thread title to attract the eyes of more knowledgeable members but want to say I really empathise with your situation. Please feel free to vent to us, and between us all I'm sure we can offer some help.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • CoffeeFirst
    @Cher_Scope; She doesn’t think she has it and feels it a waste of time speaking to the psychologist. Because she is an adult we have no choice but to go along with it. 

I’m so frustrated with it all. The psychologist has only advised therapy which she started just last week. 

Thank you for amending the title. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Has anyone encouraged her to do her own research into ASD @CoffeeFirst? Sometimes people aren't willing to engage in services until they feel as though it's something that's relevant to them, if that makes sense. ASD can present different in people of different genders, and there's a lot of misunderstanding and stigma around it. Have you tried to explore with her why she doesn't think it's worth looking into whether she might have it? I appreciate it might be difficult to engage her in this conversation.

How did she find the first therapy session?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • CoffeeFirst
    @Tori_Scope, basically she feels it bears no relevance to her life if she did have it or not. As the medication didn’t work for the ADHD diagnosis she thinks the psychologist is looking for another answer, if that makes sense. 

The therapy session went surprisingly well, she likes the therapist and is going back next week. A small victory at least. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.