Advice needed please. Assessor's report isn't quite right. I scored 13 and 10- am I entitled to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed please. Assessor's report isn't quite right. I scored 13 and 10- am I entitled to PIP?

MichaelMcC
MichaelMcC Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Hi all, I recently had my telephone interview with the assessor. I waited a couple of weeks and requested a copy of the report. It arrived and when I had a look at it there were a lot of things on the report that wasn't quite right. For a start the girl didn't even get my wife's name right.  Then she implied that I could recall dates and medication dosages yet my wife had to step in on numerous occasions to correct dates I had given. Also she had to run to the cupboard to check what medication dosages I was on. In her observations she stated that my wife was present but was not heard and made no comments which is a blatant lie. She also wrote I had good memory when discussing dates and medication. I am going to take this to citizens advice to have a look at. So, when checking her answers against the point system I have worked out 13 points for the first section and 10 points for the mobility section. Can anyone tell me if this means I am entitled to pips or can they still refuse. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

The report is only recommendations and a decision still needs to be made by a decision maker 

They do usually go with the report 

In your case the recommendations is enhanced daily living and standard mobility 

Before doing anything I would wait till you get the decision letter 

The assessor doesn't repeat what you say in the report 

They make an assessment based on their opinion of how your functionality affects your living against the descriptors 

Good luck and let us know how you get on 
  • lainyloo
    lainyloo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi I posted my pip claim form 3 weeks ago I’ve heard nothing from them do they acknowledge that they’ve received it or do I have to ask if they’ve got it and if so how? Thank you
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited July 2021

For a start the girl didn't 
    Sorry to be picky but I find that rather offensive. I’m sure she wasn’t a girl, she would have been a grown up professional woman. 
  • pandorasbox
    pandorasbox Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Fingers crossed you get the true results you feel you deserve. It’s totally frustrating when your memory is affected as mine is too.

if you don’t feel it’s right, please do go through the mandatory reconsideration, it really is worth it. 

If they turn you down at that point, tell them you’d like to appeal.  They usually call you and offer you a sort of deal where once you accept that offer, you can t appeal it again, but it’s a better deal than the first one, think about it on the phone and decide. I wish both yourself and your wife the best!?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    pandorasbox said:.. tell them you’d like to appeal.  They usually call you and offer you a sort of deal where once you accept that offer, you can t appeal it again, ..
    That is not correct. If a revised award is offered and accepted while waiting for an appeal hearing the revised award can itself be appealed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MichaelMcC
    MichaelMcC Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hey guys just an update on my claim. It turned out a weird one. They sent me my back payment on Sunday/Monday at 12pm. I actually got my back payment before I got my confirmation letter. They put 2k in my bank as I had claimed a few months before hand. I didn't realise they claim date is from you originally phone them. But any who. I made 13 points on daily living and 10 on mobility. I really wanted it the other way around. However I'm not complaining as now they are paying my full rent for me and my misses and kids. My wife works 24hrs a wk, and as such we have to pay full rent to our housing association. It works out nearly £450 a month. That's a decent mortgage. We've been paying that for the last 15yrs. Now I've got pips they awarded us a few thousand in housing benefit. Because we were in thousands debt its went a way to paying that off. But it means that we won't have to pay any rent. And our local charity have applied for a grant that will bring our rent debt down a massive chunk. Almost half. I am getting my pip for mental health but I cannot express enough how big of a relief it is to have these payments. I have been on antidepressants for 14yrs but only found out a couple of months ago that it is class as an illness. If I had known this years ago I think that it would have made things easier. I always worked my nuts off but when my second child was born I was made redundant. I didn't mind because I had worked 10 years solid before that in a job I despised. Then 9 yrs staying at home as a dad.  Depression got worse and worse. Tablets no longer work yet my doctor insists on taking them. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MichaelMcC

Thanks for the update and good to hear you got the award. It appears to have eased quite a bit of worry for you, which is nice to hear.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MichaelMcC :) When you say
    Tablets no longer work yet my doctor insists on taking them. 
    Do you mean that the anti-depressant tablets your doctor has prescribed are no longer working? If that's the case, I'd definitely encourage you to speak to your doctor about this, as they may be able to adjust your dosage or offer you a different kind of medication. Is that something you'd feel comfortable with?

It could also be worth exploring the idea of talking therapy, if you haven't already. Is that something you've ever tried before? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.