Do the decision makers always go with assessors report?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do the decision makers always go with assessors report??

Options
anxietynum1
anxietynum1 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi am wondering if anybody has experienced similar and it’s been a good outcome. 

I applied for pip and had my assessment got a copy of report and was full of lies and contradictions. One of them being I was receiving CBT which I am not, I had my first phone call the day I rang DWP to raise my concerns and since this they have decided I need to be returned to the GP and asked for a referral to see a psychiatrist. I rang and had the DM call me back, she was really understanding and took all off my concerns onboard, she sent the assessment back to assessment centre and basically they said hey are upholding the report of 0 points. She then rang me back 2 weeks later and asked me more questions on my answers and the descriptors and said she was having a call with someone from the assessment centre to discuss this, anyways she rang me today and said they have told her to just use the evidence and report she has! She told me she would be making a decision and it will be in the post, then she went on to ask me a few further questions and then ended the call. Has anybody ever gone from 0 points to a award as I was confused why ask more information? Has anybody ever experienced this. Iknow I am most likely going to have to do a MR but I don’t have any more information to send them does this matter? Any advice would be appreciated Thankyou x

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No they don’t. The DM is supposed to treat the report as one piece of evidence to be considered alongside everything else.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • anxietynum1
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

People go from zero points to an award all the time. 

Your case neatly illustrates once again the perils of both talking to DWP and getting a copy of the report though.

If you were getting CBT it would suggest specific mental health issues. Thus the fact that you’re not, potentially suggests that you’re better than you may be. You have focused on what’s in the report being inaccurate rather than waiting to see what the decision is. I am totally unsurprised though that the HCP declined to change their report. Going to CBT or not suggests that your mental health is in one place or another but it doesn’t instantly or automatically score you more points unless you can connect it to one or more of the daily living activities. 

You need to forget phrases like “lies and contradictions” too. Legally all you can say is that the report was factually incorrect. You cannot prove a lie legally unless you have some magical way of getting inside their head and seeing whether the error was conscious or not. You don’t, so you can’t. 

Even if you can show the report contains factual inaccuracies it does not automatically follow that an award would be the outcome. All you’ve done is slightly damage the credibility of their report. However, if it’s the best evidence a decision maker has because you did a poor quality PIP 2 then they will make a decision based on the more detailed and credible of the two and that might still be the HCP report. 

Your next best step is to file the HCP report away and wait and see what the decision is. If you don’t like the decision then do an MR but before you write resend on how appalling their report or reams on why you qualify it would be far better to go back and read your copy of the PIP 2 and analyse it as though it belonged to someone else. Did you really explain every aspect of your health and did you give detailed real world examples for each activity of the last time you made an attempt to perform that activity and what happened.

You get PIP because of the strength of your evidence rather than the weakness of theirs.

Thankyou Mike for your reply, I didn’t say to the DM the assessor lied, I just told her the things that was wrong and this was backed up with evidence. One of the things I have a thoracic aortic aneurysms, the assessor stated I have a “AA” which is a abdominal aneurysm. Also I sent the letter from mental health team to state they would prefer me to see a psychiatrist this is why I am not receiving help from them because they can not provide me with the help needed. I didn’t tell the assessor I was having CBT I said I had a first appointment with them at a later date and that was there outcome which I told the DM. The assessor also wrote down everything I actually said but then on the descriptors went on to say “although symptoms are consistent with evidence and diagnosis she is only receiving CBT, or that she believes I am independent” which is false my partner does practically everything for me and our children. I also supplied written letters from my partner highlighting everything he does and also my step dad... I am very great full for the DM chasing it to so many lengths and trying numerous times for the assessment centre to look at it again and even having a phone call herself but that is what I was wondering really do they always go with the report (she did say she was going to read through everything herself) and I found it abit strange after she told me all this she also followed up with her own questions so was seeing if this was normal x
  • anxietynum1
    Options
    Ok Thankyou for your advice Mike, I have put a lot of evidence in from professionals describing my daily and mobility needs I just haven’t stated it all on here, but I will do that and start to prepare for a mr and include real life examples Thankyou for the help 
  • anxietynum1
    Options
    Thankyou Mike I will take this on board for a mr, I did go into a lot of detail of what happens in my day to day life and the Dm asked me more questions based on this. That’s just what I was confused about as she said that she was making a decision and then went on to ask me more questions but I really didn’t think they would possibly take you from a 0 point assessment to an award that’s what I was wondering has it happened to people x
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @anxietynum1, I just thought I'd let you know that I myself went from zero points, to enhanced on both, but had to go all the way to tribunal to get it, don't give up and get all the help you can, good luck x
  • anxietynum1
    Options
    @Popdiva43 Thankyou for your reply, it’s just all so horrible to go through I’m glad you got it over with x 
  • anxietynum1
    Options
    @Username_removed hi Mike, sorry it’s me again lol. I rang today to see if a decision has been made, the lady on the phone told me one hasn’t been made yet and the DM has sent it to the quality check department do you know what this may be? 
  • kateymatey
    kateymatey Community member Posts: 31 Listener
    Options
    I also had a review report today 0 points i will telephone tomorrow as advised
  • Becky93
    Becky93 Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    Options
    You basically need to look at the descriptors in detail (Citizen's Advice website is great for this, as it really breaks down what qualifies for each descriptor) and detail exactly why you believe you should be scoring points for each descriptor that you believe applies.

While the DWP reports are often full of inaccuracies, getting into a slanging match is not going to be helpful. You can discredit what they're saying, but do not make it your main argument, make it supplementary in response to what they've written. Things like whether you're getting CBT or not are just methods to understand your diagnosis and treatment, directly it has no actual impact on whether you qualify for PIP or not.
  • wazza57
    wazza57 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Hi am wondering if anybody has experienced similar and it’s been a good outcome. 

I applied for pip and had my assessment got a copy of report and was full of lies and contradictions. One of them being I was receiving CBT which I am not, I had my first phone call the day I rang DWP to raise my concerns and since this they have decided I need to be returned to the GP and asked for a referral to see a psychiatrist. I rang and had the DM call me back, she was really understanding and took all off my concerns onboard, she sent the assessment back to assessment centre and basically they said hey are upholding the report of 0 points. She then rang me back 2 weeks later and asked me more questions on my answers and the descriptors and said she was having a call with someone from the assessment centre to discuss this, anyways she rang me today and said they have told her to just use the evidence and report she has! She told me she would be making a decision and it will be in the post, then she went on to ask me a few further questions and then ended the call. Has anybody ever gone from 0 points to a award as I was confused why ask more information? Has anybody ever experienced this. Iknow I am most likely going to have to do a MR but I don’t have any more information to send them does this matter? Any advice would be appreciated Thankyou x
    Hi yes something simlor in fist claiming pip from DLA life time aword then haveing to make a claim for pip i was not worrid ( piles of medical evedence photos ect of my health conditions) i filled my form in and on each question i stapled A4 sheets of papper explaining in detail of how i cannot or do things) then i added all my photos n sent it next day delivery...has a ftf asessment assessor was lovely...when i receaved aesseors report it was full of lies,omg it gave me 4 panick atacks as i cant stand people who lie or lies being told ive always told the truth..and i was aworded low rate of daily liveing and enhanced of mobility this was in 2019...3 years latr in august 2021 i receaved review form i sent all the same evedence in again and 1 more new report had my assessment 4 weeks ago by vidio and got the asessors report..i got high of both but the poor assessor had to keep explaining the last assessors findings in 2019...i got a call last week to tell me id be in for a big back pay and lump sum i was shocked  
  • kateymatey
    Options
    Hi yes ihad tge same awarded0 points on video assesors report i have made a complaint and a lady rang and took notes on what i had complained about and said someone would contact me but im still waiting tgis was dealing with capita themselves
  • wazza57
    wazza57 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Oh no thats bad just rong...i was aworded high points this time so got enhanced on the report hope you get it sorted and whats rightfuly yours xx
  • kateymatey
    Options
  • rachel3471
    rachel3471 Community member Posts: 39 Listener
    Options
    I've just received my report 0 points reading it was alot of rubbish what I supposed 2 have said I havnt most of it isn't true 
  • kateymatey
    Options

Hi yes i had the exact same thing happen to me 0 points i rang the assesment centre and told them my concerns i also sent a letter to dwp stating the innacerracies and eventually likr you i had a phone call asking me questions  and then haf a letter telling me i had an award  so good luck im sure they will now give you points
  • rachel3471
    Options

Hi yes i had the exact same thing happen to me 0 points i rang the assesment centre and told them my concerns i also sent a letter to dwp stating the innacerracies and eventually likr you i had a phone call asking me questions  and then haf a letter telling me i had an award  so good luck im sure they will now give you points

Have u a phone number for the assessment centre plz I'm going 2 phone them its not gud making out your fine when we're not if I hadn't ask for my report wouldn't have nown none of the rubbish they have said about me when some of it they never even asked me
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Have u a phone number for the assessment centre plz I'm going 2 phone them its not gud making out your fine when we're not if I hadn't ask for my report wouldn't have nown none of the rubbish they have said about me when some of it they never even asked me

Who did the assessment? Was it Capita or Independent Assessment Services?

You can put in a compliant. Details on how to do that will be on their website. You can also ring PIP to ask for a decision maker to ring you before making a decision. This way it will give you chance to put your point accross (if they ring)

This is what happens when you request the report, it does cause a lot more anxiety and stress.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kateymatey
    Options

Wss it capita you had the assesment with x
  • kateymatey
    Options

You can call us between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday. Someone else may call for you, but they will need to have your National Insurance number.

• 0808 178 8114 (England and Wales)
    • 0808 178 8115 (Welsh line)

I just found this for you this capita contact number they did my assesment

• rachel3471
    Options

Yes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.